Chapter 9

Dalton and I smirked at each other when we saw each other in the hallways. I’m not sure what he’s smirking for. I know why I’m smirking. I super glued his locker door shut. I know it won’t stop him from getting it open, but he’ll struggle for a bit.

I laughed to myself as I approached Emily.

“What are you so giggly about?” Emily asked, slightly amused.

I had to bite back my laughter. "I super glued Dalton’s locker door shut.”

Emily scoffed. “Seriously Cass?”

I laughed even more and sighed. “Yeah…”

She shook her head. “I thought you two were okay? You seemed okay snuggling on the couch last night.”

“It was you that put the blanket on us, wasn’t it?” I pointed an accusing finger at her.

She tried not to break a smile. “Maybe.”

“Are you shitting me!” I heard a voice roar from down the hall, and I just burst out laughing. But, I stopped when I heard him yell, “Cass!”

I pointed a finger in the direction of Home Ec. "Gotta go, Em.”

I was snickering the whole way to Home Ec, and up until Dalton came walking in five minutes late.

He walked over to me and gritted between his teeth, “You’re lucky you’re cute.”

I made a split second decision and pecked him on the lips before he walked back to his table. I know it caught him off guard and it did for me too, but we both smiled.

Erik made a face and he whispered, “You, two, are going to be disgusting.”

I shot daggers in his direction and whisper yelled, “Shut up, Erik!”

He looked over at me, shocked I even heard what he said, and it made Dalton laugh.

I began to sew random shit. I’m already done with the quilt assignment. It’s the only thing I am good at. Before my, dad’s side, grandma passed away, she taught me how to sew. She always used to say, “If you can sew, you’ll always be able to warm up a man’s heart.” She was a bit nutty.

By the end of class, I was close to having a pillow finished. I just need to stuff it and sew the little opening closed. I folded up the square and stuffed it into my binder. Since I’m so used to it, I headed out of class and to my locker without waiting for Dalton.

He came rushing up next to me. “Hey, you.”

I just laughed and retorted, “I thought you might need to go back to your locker.” I reached into my locker to grab my textbook and calculator.

He made a short, hysterical laugh. “Funny. I thought you’d be done pranking me.”

“Nope.” I popped the ‘P’. Then I slammed my locker door shut.

We walked into Pre-Calc in, more or less, mutual silence. I saw Mr. Tate eye us until we sat down. What was up with that? Probably because he thinks Dalton is giving me a hard time, even though in reality, I’ve been the one giving Dalton a hard time. Dalton just fights fire with fire, which is what I was doing in my defense. But now, my pranks are plainly just for fun and my enjoyment. Especially this morning’s prank. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before.

Mr. Tate stood up. "All right class. Today we’re working on page 400. If any of you have questions, ask Cass or I.” He looked directly at me and then the rest of class looked at me.

“Way to put me on the spot there, Mr. Tate.” I stated. Sarcasm dripped through every word.

He made an amused smirk. "Not a problem.” He directed at the rest of class, “Now get to work.”