Chapter 22

"Cass, you're a half hour late!" Cole yelled as Dalton and I walked into the foyer.

I rolled my eyes and yelled back, "I know, sorry, brother Alpha." I looked at Dalton. "Head upstairs. I just need to talk to my mom quick." He nodded and headed upstairs as I headed down the hall to her study. 

I peaked my head in. "Mom, can I talk to you?"

"Of course, Cassandra." She finished up what she was typing and closed her computer. I went to sit down in the same chair as earlier.

I sighed. "Mom... you were right."

"Really... So, how was it with Mr. big bad Alpha?" She asked, amused.

"Ew." I scrunched up my nose. "We didn't actually do it, but we were close... So close, mom, but I choked."

A look of confusion crossed her face. "Wait... Do you mean like you couldn't... you know, perform?"

My face distorted in even more disgust. "No! Mom! I mean that I choked as in I didn't want to do it yet.. I've always been worried people would think I'm just another one of his toys. But we talked, and I'm over it now."

"So, did you end up doing it?" I shook my head and she shook her head in confusion. "So, you came to tell me you didn't do it?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I thought you'd like to know I wasn't going to have sex again."

"Again? Cassandra Pendery, you've had sex before meeting your mate?" Her tone was on the verge of yelling. Shit, I forgot I never told her about my one time.

I sighed heavily. "Um... mom... I've had sex once before. It was back at the boarding school. There was this party with the neighboring school, which happened to be an all boys' boarding school. I had one drink, then this guy offered me another and another. I think you know what followed. It was lousy, I was half conscious, and I wish I could take it back."

"Oh, honey... please, tell me you didn't go to any other parties."

I looked away from her. "A couple, but I never drank again or did drugs, after those I focused on pretty much trying to get expelled to come home." My mom shot be a disapproving look, but I finished. "And school. Just because I was trying to get out of there didn't mean I didn't try in school."

"Okay." She nodded, slowly and levelly. "I'm sorry your first had to be lousy. I should tell you..my first happened to be the same way before I met your father."

I knew my jaw dropped. But then I smirked. "Daughter like mother, I guess."

She laughed a bit. "I guess so.. Now, you should head on upstairs to bed." 

I laughed lightly and I walked around her desk to give her a hug."I love you."

"I love you too, Cassandra." 

I took that as my cue to head back upstairs. Dalton was sprawled out on my bed, looking at one of my seventeen magazines. He looked a little too into it.

I snickered. "You enjoying that, Mr. Alpha?"

"I didn't know you got guys' insight in these things! Do you actually believe this?" He asked, a bit astonished, and sat up.

I shrugged as I walked into my bathroom to take off the wrapping."Not really... I mean, I sort of did back at the boarding school.. After that particular party, I would read those and try to use those as helpful pointers at other parties."

Sadness crossed his face. "I'm sorry that shitdick did that to you." 

I shrugged once again as I joined him on my bed. "Nah, it's teenage years, it was bound to happen. I can't help guys find me attractive." Dalton didn't find the last part as amusing as I hoped he would. Quickly, I added, "Sorry, that was supposed to be a joke.. But, seriously, it's in the past. I'm looking at now and the future."

Dalton leaned over to give me a kiss and he whispered, "I promise, when we finally have sex, it won't be lousy, you won't be drunk, and you will like it."

I smirked and kissed him once more. "I know." I moved to lay down on my side. He stood up to turn the lights off, then came and laid down next to me, snuggling close. Our legs intertwined and he wrapped his arm around my waist.

I'm not sure why, but I found myself saying, "Thank you, Dalton, for understanding me, my past, everything." 

Dalton turned me to face him and he looked me in the eyes intently. He set his hands on my forearms and his thumbs ran over some of the scarring. A deep sigh left him, "Cass, there's something I haven't told you."

My eyebrows furrowed. "What?"

"The reason I cried so much when I saw you cut yourself is because I used to cut myself. It was a little while after my father died and I had to take command as Alpha."

I reached my hand out to brush back some of his blonde hair that I love. "It's okay, Dalton. We've both had rough patches, but that's why we're so great together. I have no doubt that even if we weren't wolves, we'd still be together."

A smile placed on his lips and he bit his lip slowly. "You are amazing."

"Well..." I trailed. 

He just laughed, then slowly kissed me and snuggled up to me once again. Shortly after that, I knew Dalton fell asleep. 

I was still awake.

'Hey, please don't tell Dalton I told you this, but he used to cut himself.. I thought I'd let you know. I guess we aren't so different.' I stated in Cole's head.

Cole laughed. 'I know you, two, are far from different. You, both, are such stubborn asses at times.' 

I tried not to laugh aloud so I wouldn't wake up Dalton.'You, Cole Pendery, can be an ass too. You make Em do all of the paperwork.'

I could hear him huff in annoyance.'Are you going to let that go?'

Mentally I was shaking my head with a smirk. 'Nope. Not until you grow a pair and just do it yourself. I've seen Dalton do it. If he can do it, you can do it.'

'Are you saying he's stupid?' His voice was way too amused.

Again mentally I was shaking my head, 'I am not saying that. I'm just saying you can do it; I know you can.'

'I sense this isn't just about paperwork...'

Now, it was my turn to huff in annoyance. 'Why is everyone so deep and insightful tonight?.. But yes... This is more than the paperwork. Lately, you haven't been as strong in your role as Alpha. You need to take ownership of it and well... own it! Em is!'

'Maybe you should have been head of the pack to begin with.' Cole joked, laughing.

I smirked. 'You know it.'

'Love you, sis.' Cole said after a couple seconds. 

'Love you too, bro.'

Now, I can sleep and, I know, I'll be fully caught up tomorrow.