"What do you see?" he asks.

I don't know if I'm right about the mark stuff.

"Asher please just go away!" I push him away and go to my locker to bring out the labcoat Jamal had given to me earlier. After our Chemistry class, I was not able to return so it has been with me.

I stuff the coat in my bag and from side glances, I know Asher is watching me.

"I don't like it when pretty girls are not happy with me," he says.

My heart is smiling right now.

"So now you admit I'm pretty."

He runs his hand through his hair.

"Uh...yeah, sure."

"Well, I already know I'm pretty so if you tell me now it still wouldn't change anything."

"Why are you so rude?"

I shake my head and start zipping my bag. Talking to this guy is waste of time.

"Karen, I'm sorry."

"Apologise to Praise."

"Ugh! That's gonna be hard to do."

I shrug. "You don't owe me an apology."

"But you're not happy with me."

I turn and face him now. "I don't care about the way you live. Just don't hurt people, you act like a terrorist."

That slipped off.

I pick up my bag and leave the class. Dianne shoots me a mean stare immediately I am coming downstairs. She may be looking for her dear Asher, because she is going to my class now.

***********

Zara is still texting me even though she knows we'll meet in school. I'm just three minutes away from school, we could still talk during lunch and before assembly.

"Happy Learning, Chisom," Elijah says to me. He calls me by my native name. Basically, I'm the only one who has an Igbo name in my house. Dad named me since he's Igbo and Mom named Kayla and Kayden since she's Yoruba and wanted them to bear Yoruba names. Kayla is Darasimi and Kayden is Damilola.

I don't like the names and I don't know why. Dad says Kayla is Chisimdi and Kayden is Chibuike. Okay, lemme put it that their official native names are the Yoruba ones. Case closed.

"Thank you, Eli."

I think Elijah should be twenty-seven or something. He acts so young and even looks that way. I like the way he hustles to send his only sister to school and take care of his family too.

I get down from the car and meet Zara just under the almond tree.

"Babe!" She rushes up to me and hug me. "Tell me all about it. Did he kiss you?"

Why did I tell this girl that Asher's face was close yesterday?

"Is this the question you said you'd ask first so you can get a direct answer?"

She nods, still smiling and jumping so I can tell her.

"No." I roll my eyes. She becomes calmer and we start walking towards the class building.

"Okay, I know you're fierce and all that but don't tell me you slapped him!"

I look at her like 'Zara please tell me you don't mean this.'

"Please just tell me already."

"Do you think I can slap Asher?" I ask her.

"You did it on Monday so you can do it a million times without hesitation."