41°

I'm almost about to cry because of this stupid job Mrs Wande employed me to do. All thanks to Dianne. And her asthma, before I forget.

I keep dusting the pendulum which has cobweb around it. We have cleaners to do this job, why did they have to keep it?

I pick up another pendulum and dust it. My tummy is even grumbling and I'm locked up inside here. Plus, I don't know why Mrs Wande said twelveth graders won't have classes on Fridays after lunch. I would have eaten and then slept in the sick bay but here I am doing a job Mrs Wande won't even pay me for.

I'm very tired so I just slump on a high stool and rest my head on the large work area. I pick up another pendulum from the tool box and try dusting it again but I end up drumming with it on the work area. Just then, the door opens and Jamal comes in with Asher. Then Praise follows behind.

But the door was locked, how did they get in here?

"I was locked in here so I don't know what you guys are looking for here." I rest my head back on the table and keep drumming.

"Shhh, I just wanna help," Asher says, locking the white door.

I roll my eyes and stand up from the stool.

"Ehe? And the both of you?" I ask Praise and Jamal.

"Same," they say together. Praise comes to me and picks a pendulum, dusting it. Asher sights him and comes over too, dusting an already dusted pendulum. Jamal joins in dusting a rusted one. What do they think they are dusting.

"Jamal, that one is rusted and won't be needed. I'll throw it away. And Asher, why are you blind not to notice that I already dusted that one?"

Do I sound harsh towards Asher alone now?

"You're not perfect in cleaning. How will you become a fit lady in future?" He smirks and moves away.

"Stop trying to cover up. Just drop it and do something else, you're here to help not to make matters worse."

He ignores me and keeps doing what he is doing. I sit back on the stool and rest my chin on my hand, drumming with my fingers. Why does it feel hot all of a sudden?

"Have you guys eaten?" I blurt out. Hunger made me do that, it's not my fault. I'm just a hungry fifteen year old girl now.

"When was the last time I used the cafeteria?" Asher raises an eyebrow.

"Are you hungry?" Jamal asks me.

"I'll go get you something to eat." Praise leaves quietly. Asher bends down and starts packing the rusted stuffs into a carton while Jamal comes to sit beside me.

"Hey, sorry about the Dianne incidence," he says to me, picking up the new duster and opening the packet.

"It's okay. Besides, that was two days ago and I just have to do it. She almost died because of me."

"She would have killed you if she were to be in your shoes," he tells me.

Yeah, right. She would.

"That's why we are different," I tell him. "Tell me.." I adjust on the stool and face him. "..how do you guys do everything in a coded way?"

"Huh?" He raises his eyebrows.

"Like I mean..." I slap my forehead and sigh. "Shit! How am I gonna explain this now? I mean..like, how you guys do stuffs in a different and unpredictable way.." I explain.

"I don't think we do but you can give me an instance or maybe an incidence that happened."

"Like for example now...how you guys got in here. Even my bestfriend who said she'll try to sneak in and come to help me hasn't showed up. And I bet it's because she did not get the keys. So how did you guys get in here? Y'all are so strange." I suck in air through my mouth, and think about their coded life.

You would agree with me that they do live a coded life.

He stands up and sticks the duster to the white board. Then comes back and sits beside me.

"You should ask Asher and Praise. I'm the holy child here."

Praise's entrance interrupts Jamal. He drops meatpie and Fanta on the work area.

"The cafeteria was already cleared," he tells me.

"It's fine. You saved my tummy." I give him a fist bump and open the Fanta, gulping down quarter of it while he walks over to where Asher is.

While I chew my meatpie, he and Asher leaves the Physics Lab but not before Praise gives me this sad look and shuts the door behind him.

"What's wrong with him?"

Jamal, who is now pasting the new charts on the wall, looks at me.

"Who?"

"Praise."

"What happened to him?"

"He always has this sad look and I think you should know about him a little since he is your friend."

"He isn't my friend."

Wow!

"But you talk to him and you're closer to him than the rest of the guys, exempting Paschal," I tell him, with mouthful of meatpie.

"Because I talk to him doesn't mean he is my friend and none of us are close to him."

Wow again. Wow, just wow!

I sip my Fanta, stealing glances at him.

"My sister wants to meet you."

His sister who is the only one that appreciates his music?

Yes dummy. He has one.

"Infact, she wants to attend VHS next term because of you."

"Woah.. that's surprising."

"Why do you always attract people? Why are you so perfect?" He raises his voice at me. I don't want to conclude he's yelling at me right now because I don't deserve to be yelled at according to the rhetorical questions he is asking. "Why do you charm everyone and make them smile, even in your absence? Just a thought of you makes me wanna go crazy!"

Keep your voice down o! I no send you this one.

"What kind of a voodoo did you use on me? And I'm sure it ain't only me..." He comes closer to me and slowly pushes me to the wall.

My eyes are darting towards different directions like: wux doing dis wan now?

He tilts his head and keeps moving closer. Is it that my meatpie breathe isn't chasing him away?

I notice he is actually leaning closer to kiss me so I move my head back. Thank God it didn't hit the wall.

And Mister Jamal, this lip belongs to Asher...for now.

Okay, why am I thinking of Asher now?

Cause you like him?

No, I don't. I don't. Never will I ever.

Stop lying to yourself Karen. You know you do and that's why you don't want to cheat on him even though you guys are not yet into any intimate relationship.

I don't like Asher!

I keep forcing my head to stick to my last thought.

Jamal pulls me into a tight hug.

"Karen, please don't make me sad by leaving me hanging. You don't know how much you mean to me..."

I hug back too and pat his back.

A/N

See human being dah is supposed to be clearing lab, doing love and thinking of her love story.🤦

Anyways, leave her to enjoy her youthful days joor. She might die anytime soon.

Don't forget to grace this chapter with comments and votes😋❤️

Thanks,

Omah💜💋