17°

Karen’s POV.
______________________________________

Next tomorrow is Dinner Night and I’m excited, but there’s one thing missing –my date. I don’t have a date. No partner, no nothing. Zara has Dylan already and Aina has Junior.

I wake up in the evening and check my phone, Zara has already called twice. I wonder what the problem is.

I did not go to school today because we we’re asked not to attend school today and tomorrow. Our midterm break has already started.

I call Zara and she picks up immediately.

“Hey, I’m confused on what to put on next tomorrow. I sent you some pictures on WhatsApp. They are the pictures of the four dresses I want to choose from.”

“Zara, you know I’m bad at making choices. Okay chill, I’ll have a video call with you when I’ve decided.”

“Yay! Thanks, love you!”

I was about to end the call when she started to talk again.

“Is Asher your date already?”

“I’m not interested.”

I am.

I’m guessing she’s squinting her eyes now. “Oh yeah? You’re just too hard ehn, if I’m Asher I’d lose hope by now.”

“If he’s seriously interested, I’ll know. Don’t worry about us.”

“You guys are playing mind games. Most especially you!”

“What are y’all expecting from us?” I ask. And it’s because I am so eager to hear them talk about us getting into a relationship.

“A ship to sail. Maybe Karsher or Ashren, you guys are keeping me in suspense,” she tells me.

“Are you seriously serious? Wow...that’s so crazy.” I chuckle.

“Babe, make him ask you.”

“Hey, I have to go and prepare dinner with my mom right now ok? When I pick a dress for you, I’ll text.”

“I pray Ashren ship sails.”

I scoff. “Bye.” I end the call and throw my phone to the side of the bed but it bounces to the floor, thank God it lands on the pink rug so my screen is safe.

_______________________________________
Jamal’s POV                                              

I feel bad Asher’s the leader of our gang. He makes us do things his way. I don’t know if  the other guys feel he is making us his duffs but that’s how I feel. I hate it when Asher is controlling, and I hate it even more when he is always around Karen. I’m so jealous about the whole stuff and I’m so weak to prove to Karen that I can be better than Asher too. I know I can treat her better, but I’m scared of a girl like Karen. She is so hard to get, I wonder how Asher got her and I feel she is already getting to like him.

Is there even any point? They kissed. It’s clear, he said it at the cafeteria. If only he knew how hurt I feel every time.

I don’t know why but I want her to shout at me too, to notice me,  to give me a mean stare when I pull her braids. Must she always be nice to me? I’m okay with her mean face.  She doesn’t complain and I’m not good at being a trouble maker.

I wonder if she has a date yet. I decide to ask Praise since I still talk to him secretly. Hopefully, Asher wouldn’t find out or I’ll be degraded in the group.