15°

It is Monday and I am happy that those guys will come to school. I mean, classes have been boring without them and nobody troubled me the whole time. Dianne was happy about the whole thing and she made sure to act sarcastic and dramatic anytime she is around me.

I dressed up for school. Asher is the person I’m actually thinking of. I don’t know why I’ve been so drawn to him. We just started being friends a month ago or so and we’ve just got this kind of Chemistry going on between us already. I don’t even feel like giving Jamal or Praise a chance anymore. Like, why would I? They aren’t even showing their interest, so I can’t kill myself.

“It’s obvious you are excited about returning to school today,” Mom says to me. “Is it because Zara is coming back today?”

Lemme catch you guys up – Zara also went on suspension with the guys. Okay, not that she went...but she did not come to school for her tests while the boys were away. Her Mom said she had to meet her dentist so she could get braces. I think Zara wants to get braces all for fashion sake because nothing is wrong with her teeth.

And no, Mom. Haha, I’m happy Asher is gonna resume today.

“Yes, I’ve missed her,” I reply and spread peanut butter on my bread.

“I wish Zara can be in my school too. All the girls in class suck,” Kayden chips in.

“Girls?” Mom and I ask wide-eye. Aunt Michelle settles down at the table with us.

“Yes, girls. He says he wants to have a girlfriend,” Kayla replies.

Say whaaatt??!!

“Who taught you both about girls and girlfriends?” Mom asks.

“It’s because Karen has a boyfriend too, and he says Karen is his girlfriend,” Kayla replies.

Gawd of Mercy! This girl has big mouth.

Mom turns and faces me. Obviously, she is shocked. She turns back to the twins.

“Now, I don’t ever want to hear such from any of you again! If ever, no more trip to Los Angeles,” Mom says.

“Yes Mom,” they both reply. Aunt Michelle gives me a questioning look but I just bend my head and keep stirring my Lipton.

I watch Mom type into her phone, and I get really uncomfortable. Breakfast goes really quiet until it is time for us to leave the house, including Aunt Michelle – because she has to pass by my school to get to her friend’s house so that is why she is following me.

“Are you dating?” she asks me.

“No,” I reply.

“Karen, I hope you ain’t lying o!”

“I’m not lying.”

I bring out my phone and the first thing I see is a message from Mom.

We’ll have to talk about your so-called relationship that has gotten to the ears of your siblings and thereby corrupting their minds.

I guess this is what she typed when we were still at the dining.

At school, I meet up with Zara first and she pulls me into a hug.

“I missed you,” she tells me.

“You didn’t. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have let me attend school alone.”

She scrunches up her nose. “Are you forming up or what?”

I roll my eyes. “So you have extra tests to take...that’s bad.”