13°

Jamal stands up to leave the class without submitting his note, but Sir Godfrey stops him.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Sir Godfrey asks.

“Where do you think I’m going? Don’t disturb me,” Jamal says calmly and leaves the class with his hands in his pockets. Yeah, I believe he is actually the coolest one amongst the four.

“These guys are rude,” Aina mouths to me.

Sir Godfrey stands up with his cane. Canes are not allowed to be used on students at school, all thanks to Dianne. After she had an asthmatic attack from Sir George’s (our previous Chemistry teacher who now teaches SS1) flogging, Mrs Wande banned it. Some teachers just carry it to put fear in us, but it doesn’t work.

“Yeah right.” I mouth back and submit my work.

Some of my classmates start exchanging papers and some even come to my book to spy, all because Sir Godfrey has left to go after Jamal.

“Jamal, don’t move an inch from there!” Sir Godfrey yells.

Jamal stops and turns to him, his hands are still in his pockets.

“Kneel down!”

“I ain’t kneeling.” Jamal shakes his head and brings out bubblegum from his breast pocket. How sassy.

“I said kneel!”

“Force me.” He is not even yelling, and that’s the spicier part.

I gasp with some of my other classmates. We are all standing by the door of the class, watching the scenario. Even some teachers that are invigilating are forcing the three guys to kneel down.

“Why is every SS3 set always filled with stubborn boys?” Miss Sophie asks. She teaches Computer Science for the junior students.

Dylan and Junior come in.

“Jay, what’s going on?” Junior asks, and he is tying his durag properly.

“I’m being troubled because I wanna stand up for my guys,” Jamal replies.

His guys? Is Praise his guy too? I thought the four of them are against Praise.

“Everyone get back to their classes now!” Sir Leon orders and students scurry back to their seats. As for me, I stand by my class window with Aina and Godwin watching the whole drama.

“Sir Leon you don’t have to...” Dylan is saying when he gets whipped. “Why did you use the cane on me?” He dusts his shoulder with a smirk on his face.

Why is he smirking? He is doing something dangerous and he is smirking? Isn’t he fearing?

“You did not hear every student should go into their classes?”

“I did buh...I have to stand up for my niggas,” Dylan replies.

Thay word is not allowed.

“Dylan and Fabian, go back to your classes and continue with your tests,” Sir Godfrey tells them, “or the five of you will get into trouble.”

“Then so be it,” Jamal says.

“I wanna go to my class and write my test.”

Asher please just kneel down and stop being stubborn! He even has one leg thrown out and the other one has his weight balancing on it. Does he even remove his hand from his pocket?

“Kneel down.”

“We have a test,” Praise says.

Paschal goes outside too, probably to defend his bestie.