19°

We keep going down to the hall and he gets us a table at the back. This year’s party is touchè. I sit down and my eyes scan around for Zara. I can’t even sight her anywhere. There’re over eight hundred students here so the crowd is even too much.

“What would you like to be served?” the waitron asks. I thought waitrons just bring whatever we need even without asking with an assurance that we will like whatever will be served to us. Nigeria is so different.

“Anything she takes,” Asher replies. “Bae, what do you want?”

Jerk.

“A glass of wine I guess,” the waitron says and starts to leave.

Like, who chose that? I don’t take alcohol just incase he brings an alcoholic wine. This waitron needs to be fired.

“You could’a said something,” Asher tells me.

“Aren’t you always feeling like things should go your way? I was waiting for you to decide.” I roll my eyes.

“Sorry ‘bout what happened in the restroom,” he says.

Aren’t you even going to compliment the way I look tonight? Jerk.

“I guess I’ll have to stay away from all of you, you guys are making it obvious you have a very bad secret between yourselves and I don’t feel safe.”

“How–”

“Goodevening students!” I don’t know who that is on stage and I don’t care about listening. “Welcome to tonight’s grand dinner night...”

“Here are your orders,” the waitron says and drops two glasses of light blue wine.

I did not order for this, Mister.

“Yeah, we’re okay,” he says but then looks at me and raises his eyebrow, “right?”

I’m happy he always seek my opinion too.

“I’m okay,” I tell the waitron. He leaves with a smile and I take a teeny tiny sip of the wine. It’s really good but I still don’t want to take much.

I bring out my phone from my purse and keep myself busy, and I can feel his eyes on me the whole time. He is trying to talk to me but I don’t listen. I feel like being dramatic now. Is it getting annoying?

I’m still going through my Instagram page when he snatches the phone from me.

“Karen I’m talking to you!”

Thank God the hall is noisy.

And as if he has just noticed I’m shocked about the way he just yelled at me, he takes a deep breath and hands my phone back.

“Can you ever listen to me? Please? Just one last time?”

“There’s nothing to be said,” I tell him and leave the table. While I walk out, some of my schoolmates fix their stares on me and I know they are wondering if we just had an argument.

I go to the back of the hall and sit on an old bench. I’m literally scared right now because the eerie silence is so much and I don’t even know the way I came through. I turn on the flash light and point it around.

Nobody is with me. Asher please help! Suddenly, someone collects my phone and the light goes off.

“This is how it’s supposed to go. You belong here bitch!”

Dianne.

“Do I owe you something?” I ask her.

“Asher...”