63°

AUTHOR’S POV

Aina stays in class going through some notes because there’s nobody to talk to. Her two friends are dating while she is left alone. They are lucky, she thinks. Maybe she isn’t destined to enjoy her teen age.

The bell rings, indicating the end of their free period and the beginning of lunch break.

Every person in her class starts leaving, including Karen and Asher. The class becomes silent but then next thing, someone plops beside her with a music box streaming Don’t you need somebody by RedOne.

She looks up from her book to see Junior sitting with a big fat smile on his face.

“Hi,” she says to him with a smile. “How are you?” She looks so confused  because she doesn’t expect him there at the moment.

“I should be asking how you are,” he tells her. “So how have you been?”

“Okay.” She focuses on her notebook again and keeps flipping through pages. He moves the book to himself and glances at it.

“Does this keep you going? Why don’t you have some fun instead?”

“It’s literally the only option I have right now and besides, I need to concentrate on my books. The earlier I do, the better it becomes for my external exams,” she tells him.

He tries his best to hide his shock that she still finds it easy to talk to him even after all the yelling and attitude he had given her because of Vida, whom he now despises so much.

“Okay. So urm, how about we spend the break together?”

She raises an eyebrow. “Sorry Fabian? Are you sure you know who you’re talking to? I’m not Davida.”

“Lovely c’mon I know. Leave Davida out of our talk. Long story cut short, I wasn’t thinking straight. I was carried away by everything I saw on the outside not caring about her inner self...” He sighs and face palms himself. “Baby girl I’m sorry. I know I flunked the test of not being satisfied with you. Can we start over? Each time I try talking to you on phone, you are always different so I feel like I could come clean to you in person.” He kneels down and holds her hands. “Lovely, I’m sorry. I swear. Ain’t shit like this gonna happen no more.”

She looks around in embarassment.

“It’s okay. Please get up. This feels so weird.”

He smiles and tries kissing her but she moves away.

“Can we just have a short period to ourselves instead of kissing and hugging and creating love stories? I need to get back to my book ASAP.”

“Okay. Sorry.” He gets up and they leave the class together.

_______

“Okay Asher stop being stupid!” Karen laughs and threw a book at him.

“Be careful there or you’ll pay for any misplaced property,” Asher replies and picks up the book on the floor, arranging it back on the shelf.

“Fine. So urm...you said you wanna read me a story. I’m waiting,” she tells him.

“I’ll find the book.”

After walking around, searching for books through the shelf, he picks up a book and brings it to her.

“This book looks boring. C’mon, let’s leave this library.”