18°

It was shocking for me to see these texts. All from the three boys. They sent same text to me at 19:58, that’s 7:58pm.

Jamal💖: Do you mind being my               partner for dinner night?
Praise😊: Do you mind being my partner for dinner night?
Asher❤💋😊😚😅: Do you mind being my partner for dinner night?

But, I have already made up my mind to be among the singles. Dinner night is tomorrow and I don’t even think I’m still interested. Maybe I’ll keep myself busy with students from Cornerstone.

But still, I want to give Asher this one chance. Obviously, I’ve lost interest in the other guys. I reply Jamal and Praise negatively and accept Asher. I expect him to text back with an appreciation but instead he texts:

First customer, first served.

Like what the hell? He asked and I did it to make him feel accepted for once and he’s busy misbehaving.

I let it slide because I know I like him, and I want to spend much time with him.

_______________________

“Sissy, you look so gorgeous!” Kayla tells me.

“Why do girls like makeup?” Kayden asks.

“Don’t you?” Aunt Michelle asks.

“I feel it makes one look fake,” Kayden replies and leaves my room. Duh, don’t be surprised. Kayden is like that, I just hope he doesn’t become a playboy because I can already see it in him.

“Can I attend the dinner party with you? I want to meet Asher again,” Kayla says.

I look at Aunt Michelle through my mirror and she gives me a questioning look like, ‘you don’t also tell these little kids about it too, do you?’

“Kayla please excuse me.”

“Ugh, fine!” She leaves with her kiddies tablet.

“They’re still little and can keep things to memory when they think it’s nice. You don’t want your mom to question you again, do you?”

“He told them I’m his girlfriend and I got to know about it when it was late. There was nothing I could do, but I already made it clear to them that I never wanna hear such again.”

“Karen don’t lie to me, are you both together?”

“Honestly, we aren’t.”

“If you say so.” She shrugs, and bends down to do the strap of my heel. “Stand up, let’s see if this heel is too high for you.”

I stand up and move back, then catwalk to the full length mirror. Yup, it’s too high but these are the things I like even though Mom complains about them.

“It’s higher than the other one, let’s change it.”

“No.” I shift my leg so she won’t loosen the tied strap. “I like this one.”

“Won’t you be taller than Asher? Your Mom might even complain.”

“Duh, leave it. I’ll tell Dad I like this one better and he’ll let me wear it.”

I move to the bed and pick up my dinner gown. It’s dark blue and black, with glitters all over it. It has a circle in the bosom and just one long sleeve which is lacy, and then a slit up to my left thigh. It’s an off-shouldered something with black glittery butterflies around the elastic.

The edge of the slit has butterfly clips too, and I’m thankful to Mom for choosing this dress for me after we came back from Dubai.

“I am just starting to notice the beauty of this gown.”