22

Short chapter :/

Y/N's P.O.V.

Five and I approached room 12 slowly, not knowing what the Handler was planning.

"Five, I've been waiting for you." The Handler called from inside and my stomach turned. Five glanced at me, holding up his hand, silently telling me to stay put.
He walked into the room and I clenched my jaw, not too happy about being left on guard duty.

"You must really like donuts." Five muttered from inside and I was confused, but it didn't matter in that moment.

"It's been a while." The Handler purred and I rolled my eyes.

"Three days." Five replied.

"For you, maybe. For me, it's been a lot longer since I've seen those adorable little shorts." Did she have to do that? She was always flirting with him and although she didn't exactly know about our relationship until earlier, it was still infuriating.
Okay, so, maybe I was a little jealous of the Handler. I knew it was stupid but I couldn't help it.

"Well, you've had time to heal." Five muttered.

"Luckily, for both of us, time... is the one thing my organisation has an abundance of." Her voice seemed to get closer.

"I got your message, by the way." Five spoke.
"Nice packaging, but so much for Commission protocol."

"There have been... some changes since you left the Commission. You really did some damage." She paused.
"The briefcases were destroyed, to say nothing of the highly trained personnel you killed. After all, what is an institution-"

"What do you want?" Five interrupted.

"For your girlfriend to stop hiding outside like a coward." The Handler deadpanned and I let myself in, not saying a word.
"What I want is to be happy. To have a simple... unfettered life. To do the work my superiors require. But... your being here, well it complicates all of that."

"Billions of people are about to die tonight. You can change that." Five glared at the woman, now sitting on the couch. The donut lady whimpered and the Handler sighed.

"Tonight, tomorrow... So little difference in the scheme of things." She shrugged and Five looked at me in disbelief.
"Don't you remember the Commission's raison d'être? I know you do, Y/N." She gave me a pointed look.
"What's meant to be is meant to be, or, as I like to say, que será, será."

"It's bullshit in any language." I said to her and she almost looked offended.

"Why did you call me here?" Five asked and she smirked.

"I want to offer you a choice. Everyone is going to die tonight, but unlike the rest of the world, you have a way out. You can abandon your family and your wife and skip ahead to the apocalypse, take a walk about for a few decades, wondering if I'll come back and offer you a job again, or you can stay here with your family and... die a horrible death." She laughed, picking up a bottle of champagne.
"Whilst you weigh your options, just know your siblings are fighting for their lives without you."

"You brought me here to pull me away." Five whispered and she chuckled.

"It's been nice knowing you, Five." She purred.
"And Y/N-" Five special jumped us away before she could finish
We stood just a few streets away and Five shook his head, moving away from me.

"She's wrong. It's not too late, we can stop Vanya." He muttered, pacing.
"I just need to think."

"Five."

"I don't want to hurt her, but if it comes down to it, I might have to. I know-" I grabbed his arm and he shut up, looking at me in shock.

"We don't have time for you to think this through. We have to get the the Icarus Theatre, now. Vanya's show has already started and everyone else is probably there... if they survived whatever the Handler threw at them." Five nodded his head and I let go of his arm.
"We'll stop the apocalypse or we'll die trying, okay?"

"Yeah." Five held out his hand and I took it, before we appeared just outside of the theatre.