Chapter 1

I walked into the barren room that had a single chair in the center. I shifted my green eyes towards the glass that the chair was facing. There was someone behind the glass. I knew the drill. They would ask me questions that most people would have replied to dishonestly and I would do the exact opposite. I sat back in the chair.

"Okay, I get that this is protocol but we all know that I will keep doing the same things over again. I don't feel sorry for my actions. I couldn't care less about how my decision affects others and I certainly don't care about getting released. Thank you and have a nice day."

I stood up and was about to leave before I heard clapping coming from the intercom that broadcast what the people behind the glass were saying.

"That was beautiful Carmen. Truly, I think I shed a tear when you finished. But seriously, sit back down."

I shook my head, plopping back down onto the chair, "This is pointless and you know it."

"Maybe, but we would like to talk to you about something else."

"What? If I'm crushing on the guy in gym class?" I said, mockingly.

"Real mature, Carmen."

I shrugged. What could I say? They were wasting my time and I was no doubt wasting theirs as well.

"Look. I'm just saying, I already answered the questions. There's no point."

The door opened and a woman with her blonde hair in a tight ponytail entered. Her outfit was really official. A tight pencil skirt and a white flowery blouse. Yep, definitely something you would see in Juvie. 

Ah, sarcasm, my old friend.

"Hi, I'm Eliza, your probation officer."

I scoffed, that had to be a joke.

"Lady, one you look more like a therapist than a P.O., and two, I'm not getting released, meaning I won't be on probation meaning, I don't need You."

I pointed at her on 'you' and said it somewhat in a higher-pitched voice.

She smiled, "Look, I know it must be hard for you being in Juvie most of your life but you need to cooperate."

I laughed. "Sure and after that, I can tell you about my childhood and my parents. Guys are you sure she's not a therapist. I mean I get it. I probably need one by government standards but seriously?"

Eliza flipped out a badge that had her name scribbled on it, showed an unflattering picture of her, and said official probation officer in it.

"Okay. So you are a very therapeutic P.O. Got it."

"Carmen. We realize that any number of years in Juvie isn't going to work on you."

"Took you long enough." I interrupted.

"So we wanted to try a new approach."

I raised an eyebrow, "And that approach is?"

"Releasing you to see how you do. You'll be on probation of course, but we wanted to see how that works"

I threw my hands up. "Fine. You guys are technically the government so I don't think I can persuade you otherwise." 

"That is correct." The guy behind the glass chimed in.

Eliza smiled at me. "You'll be released tomorrow and you'll start school the next day."

Okay hold the phone, stop the bus, hold your horses, etc. You get the idea. 

"School?"

"Yes, that thing that kids go to so they can get a job?" Eliza said, all while maintaining a cheery attitude.

"I know what school is. I'm not that stupid."

Though I was an IQ-certified idiot.

"Well, then you know it runs from Monday to Friday every week."

"Yup. But there is no way that I am going."

Eliza smiled. I would love to know how many whitening products she uses for her teeth. I think I could see my reflection in them.

"Sweetie,"

"Carmen." I corrected curtly. No bitch was gonna be calling me sweetie.

"Carmen, that's the deal. Kids your age go to school."

"Whatever. I'll just skip classes anyway."

Eliza rolled her eyes, seeming like she was done with the conversation, "Well it was a pleasure to talk to you and I look forward to getting to know you more."

Yeah just don't ask about my childhood or what the blotches on a sheet of paper look like to me.

"The feeling is not mutual," I said dryly.

She left and I looked back at the glass, "So, are you sure she's not a therapist?"