Chapter 16

I was sitting in the cafeteria where they usually had visitors come in and talk to the kids. It was too nice to be the cafeteria where we actually ate. It was weird being on this side of things. I was so used to coming here wearing orange and being escorted by a guard that it almost didn't feel right coming here without one. 

I was bobbing my leg up and down as I nervously waited. The guards here seemed to remember me because they all gave glares or just straight up ignored me when I told them that I was wanting to talk to Rex. But it's okay, I get it. 

But a hello would have been nice.

I side-eyed a kid who looked to be about twelve, talking to his family. They seemed to be genuinely concerned for him. He had a black eye, and the way he was hiding his left hand, seemed to me like it was gonna be pretty bloody.

He locked eyes with me for a second. His eyes got wide, and he shrunk, averting his gaze downwards. The family looked over at me and I smirked, nodding as if to say, Hi, how's it going, I'm top dog around here.

Not any more.

Shut up.

The doors opened and a guard pushed a guy into the room. I looked up and Rex was standing there. I couldn't help but smile as he gave the guard something, and the guard left.

I wasn't going to run up and hug him or anything, that goodbye was a one-time thing. Rex and public or private displays of affection usually didn't go together too well. He thought it made him seem too attached. 

I thought it made him less of a robot, but agree to disagree on that.

"Hey, Spy girl."

I smirked, "Hey T-Rex. What'd you pay him for?"

"Extra time, fifteen minutes never seemed to be enough."

I laughed, "You kidding, fifteen minutes never seemed to be short enough."

"That's just because your parents decided to make you feel bad about what you did and how their lives were shit because of you."

"Thanks for reminding me, asshole."

Rex was about to open his mouth to apologize, but then he saw my smile and thought otherwise. It was something about him, he never liked to apologize, but he would.

"So how've your three days of freedom been?"

I scoffed, "Shitty."

"Why?" 

"Well, I was originally with my PO, and it made me want to get back here as fast as I could, but then she asked a family if I could stay with them for a while, like a sleepover kind of thing, just until my probation was done, I'm guessing. It's like she knew I wouldn't try anything outrageously horrible with a family and a roof over my head."

"Yeah, Ms. I don't want to get anyone else in trouble." He said smiling.

"Oh, fuck you, you're the exact same way."

Rex shrugged, "Yeah, that's true."

"Anyway. The mom's a bitch, thinks that I'm some sort of gang leader or some shit. Probably believes that I'm gonna steal everything and take all their money or something."

"I'm guessing she thinks you're like a Gallagher?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"You know, I always pictured you as an Ian kind of person."

I nodded, sounded like me, "I can get behind that."

"So how's the dad and the kids?"

"Uh, actually, haven't seen a dad around. There's a 7 or 8-year-old named Sammy, adopted. A little too innocent for me, and she's a hugger. You would hate her."