Chapter 15

Everyone was staring once again, but this time, they were staring at Jay too. Kinda felt bad for him, being associated with me. 

It was like I needed to yell that he was probably the most law-abiding citizen I knew.

Though that wouldn't be saying much because I've basically lived in juvie for the last however many years of my life.

We had walked straight to the office when we got to school, and I got my class schedule. Jay had made sure to remind me to actually go to all of my classes. 

Which wasn't gonna happen but I could at least try to lie to him about it.

What? Oh like you actually thought that I would be staying the whole day at school.

Oh, you actually did. 

Well, I wasn't. Besides, I needed to talk to Rex, and I'd have to skip school to do that. 

I gotta say, the best part so far was pulling up and seeing my graffiti still up there on those doors. It was fading, due in part probably to the janitor who had been outside scrubbing it off, but, it was there nonetheless.

Jay was escorting me to my second class like I was some toddler. Supposedly I wasn't trustworthy enough to get where I was going without "getting lost."

"So how was math?" Jay asked.

He was trying to make conversation.

"Shitty." 

I didn't want to talk.

We walked past another group of kids who didn't have anything to do except stare at me. 

"Okay, what did you guys do?"

"Solve for X. That's what algebra 2 does. Factor numbers, all that shit."

He scoffed, "Like you actually paid attention."

I did.

"Yeah, well, it was the first sentence on the syllabus. After that, I stopped caring."

I didn't.

"Course you did."

Stereotypes, gotta love 'em.

We kept walking, up a staircase, down another hallway, turned left, and then Jay opened the door. 

"Ladies first."

"Oh, sorry, didn't know you wanted to be first," I said with a smirk on my face.

Jay huffed before walking in ahead of me.

Yup, thought so.

I followed right behind him, and all talking in the classroom ceased to exist.

Until it didn't.

"CARMEN!"

Huh?

My eyes scanned the poster-covered classroom. A bunch of shit that different activists, politicians, and celebrities said had been duct-taped to the walls. Along with the occasional poster about how to argue and all that shit. 

What was this class?

I checked the schedule I had in my hand. 

Contemporary Issues.

A.K.A. current events.

A.K.A. social studies.

A.K.A let's talk about stuff that Americans just can't seem to come to an agreement on.

A.K.A let's divide the country even more class.

A.K.A. arguing class.

In conclusion, my favorite class.