Chapter 19

We pulled up to the front entrance of juvie, and Allison looked at it for a second.

"This is the place?"

I nodded, "Yup. This is where I've been for most of my life."

She looked at the outside, with its tiny columns, flowerpots, and nice little welcome signs. It looked more like a psychiatrist's office than the hell hole it really was.

"It doesn't look like a jail."

"Juvie. And, well, looks can be deceiving."

I got out of the car, but she rolled the window down, "Hey, how long you gonna be in there?"

I smirked, "Do you actually care?"

"No, I just want to know how long before I presume you got yourself thrown back in."

I laughed a little to myself, "Hate to break it to you, but unless I attempt a jailbreak for another inmate, I can't exactly get thrown back in."

"Not even for stealing a pencil?"

I just waved the comment aside, walking up to the doors and entering.

The woman at the counter raised an eyebrow.

"Here to see Rex again, I'm guessing."

"Yup, and uh, do you have a sharpie I could use?"

She looked me up and down, "You gonna steal it?"

I scoffed, "Please, a sharpie? I'm not an amateur."

"Oh, I believe it."

She gave me the sharpie on her desk and I nodded at her.

"He'll be out in a minute."

I went over to take a seat outside the visiting area with the tables.

Another family was waiting too, a sister, and a full set of parents. The mom was sitting next to me, and I turned my head to smile at her. 

"Hi, how's it going?"

She pursed her lips and nodded, before looking me up and down, clutching her purse a little closer to herself.

Jesus, wonder how she reacted to whatever the hell her son or daughter did. 

The dad put his arm around the little girl even more, and she just stared at me. I wanted to just go in at that point. 

I stood up and went over to a different chair closer to the door, and the worst part was, I saw their stance instantly relax.

I needed to get out of there, I needed to be away from the stares.

"Uh, Carmen?"

I bolted up, "Yeah?"

"They're ready for you."

I nodded and stepped into the room, leaving the family behind.

Rex came in a few seconds later and smiled at me. 

"Sup, Spy girl?"

"Nothing much. You know, just visiting my friend who's getting out in a few days. How does it feel?"

He sat down next to me, "Weird. They're making me start to clean up my cell. And now it looks-"

"Inhabitable? Not a fire hazard? Doesn't make Carmen fall flat on her face?"

"Yeah, pretty much. But now all that shit's shoved into two cardboard boxes and I don't know how the fuck I'm gonna get them around the city."

I shrugged, "Simple, throw them off a building. That'll take care of them."