Chapter 3

I woke up with my throat burning. It did that sometimes. Didn't know why and I couldn't care less. I got out of bed and went to the small mirror that had a counter next to it. On it, was my hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste, face soap, deodorant, and a single hair tie. Yeah, I got all the freakin essentials for life here.

I quickly spit into the sink that was under the mirror after brushing my hair and teeth, applied deodorant, and gave my dark brown hair a half-up look. It was messy but I didn't have time or patience to put it up properly.

I straightened my uniform that I had to wear. Orange. Of course. I honestly couldn't wait until I could burn it.

I walked out of my room to see that there weren't a lot of people up yet. They would have to get up at eight. But looking at the clock I saw that it was only seven. I saw a guard walk by and after his back was to me I made a point of flipping him off. There was a laugh behind me and I turned to see another guard and Eliza about to walk into my room.

I glared at her, "It's my last day, okay, I get a pass."

"I don't know what you're talking about." She winked at me with her crystal blue eyes and gave a white smile.

I scoffed, "Lady, you try way too hard."

"At least I try. Some probation officers don't care."

"Yeah, exactly, I like them."

"Why."

"Because they don't talk to me like the world is filled with shit like rainbows and unicorns."

Her smile fell. This was my probation officer? Did they really decide to pair me with Ms. Sunshine? Maybe she stood up and said 'let me help the poor thing. She can tell me about her life and we'll become best friends forever, yay!'

Yeah, this might be the longest however long time away from Juvie that I had ever had.

"So where are we going?"

"The usual. I have a feeling you know what I mean. Considering your record shows that you have been released several times."

"Cool, just let me just say goodbye to someone."

Eliza raised an eyebrow, "Any chance this is a blonde with grey eyes named Rex?"

"Yeah actually. Do you know where he is?"

"Yes. He's waiting for you right before the exit."

I smirked. He was waiting for me? Hell yeah. I was never letting that one go.

I walked with Eliza and the guard behind me. I saw Rex leaning up against the wall. He looked up when he heard me coming. He had dark circles under his eyes and his hair was messier than usual. I was right, he didn't sleep last night.

"Hey spy girl."

"Hey, T-Rex!"

Those nicknames were established within the first few weeks of knowing each other.

Eliza stayed back and started to talk to the officer. Rex and I kept talking.

"So here we are again."

I nodded. "Only thing is I might not come back."

Rex shifted on the balls of his feet and I tried to avoid eye contact. These parts of the goodbye were always the most awkward because, ladies and gentlemen, we have reached the contact portion of the goodbye.

Both people engaged in the goodbye must decide what is appropriate for the goodbye. A handshake, a fist bump, a bro-hug, an actual hug, a side hug, you get the idea. The one who is not leaving must initiate this contact. So that meant Rex. I gave him a look that meant, any day now.

"I'm gonna miss you, Carmen."

He pulled me in for a real hug. A ten-second hug. Something that he had never done before.

What the hell was happening?

"You better visit me," he continued, we were still hugging so he was whispering in my ear. "I need to hear your annoying voice once in a while."

I smiled into his chest. "Right back at you, asshole."

He pulled away a little but kept me in his arms.

"I'm serious."

"I know you are."

"I'm gonna need to find someone else to help me bully the newbies."

I faked looking offended, "You better not replace me."

He shook his head, "Nah, you're irreplaceable."

Then he leaned down a little and pressed his lips to my forehead. I stood like a statue. He laughed at my reaction.

"Carmen, you okay?"

"Uh, did the famously no contact guy just kiss my forehead?"

"Yes, he did."

"Are you feeling okay?"

"I'm blaming my actions on the lack of sleep."

I realized that he was still holding me and I did the only logical thing after that. I was tall but he was taller so I had to stand on my toes. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. You know what a brother and sister would do if one of them is going off to college. Except, this time, one of them was leaving Juvie. Going out into the real world and trying to salvage what little broken prices of her life that she may or may not still have.

"I'll miss you too Rex."

I pulled away from him and he let me go. When I was about to walk away I turned around and gave him a quick punch in the arm.

"What the hell was that?" He yelled rubbing his arm.

"That was the real goodbye. See ya, Rex!

He chuckled a little, "Bye, Carmen. Don't get into too much trouble."

I laughed. "Likewise."

Eliza was waiting for me as I walked through the doors into the main office of the detention center. Then I watched as the door closed, Rex offering an encouraging smile. The door finished closing with a click, separating me from the only person that I really knew in this world.

_________

Author: Interesting relationship you got going there you two.

Carmen: It's not a relationship

Author: Then what do you call it?

Carmen: It's an understanding.

Rex: Nah, it's a juvie friendship.

Author: What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Rex: You know, a friendship made in juvie.

Carmen (Scoffs): Pretty obvious.

Okay. Whatever you want to call it, what do you think of it?