46. New home

~ You are the love that came without warning; you had my heart before I could say No.

Zameer

Life took a drastic change. From the first day I met her, an unknown emotion settled deep within my chest. Fluttering me with a childish excitement in the most clueless way I ever knew. And today, she became my wife.

Standing outside my house, I took deep breaths.

Breath in.
Breath out.
Breath in.
Breath ou--

"Are we going to stand here the whole night?" She asked, looking the other way. 

Oho. My lips stretched into a wide smile. I almost forgot about her sassy nature.

"If that's what my wife wants, then I'd do so without a word of disapproval," I replied, a small smile playing on my lips.

Her eyes widened and I heard her take a deep breath. "No, that's not what I want."

"Then, what do you want?"

"Nothing."

And that seemed to be the end of our conversation. For now.

I outstretched my palm, "Come, Amyrah." With an unsure look, she forwarded her palm, keeping it on mine. Her hands were baby soft yet I knew what they were capable of. I held it closer and interlocked our fingers.

Together we walked.

After a couple of steps, I stopped in my tracks. In a swift motion I turned around, facing her, staring deep into her eyes, tightened my hold on her hand and kissed the back of her palm.

My lips lingered not even for a second, and before I knew it, I turned and walked inside.

With her hand on mine.

"Welcome home, love."

"What the hell---!!?"

***

"What were you'll doing outside for so long?" Mom asked, batting her eyelashes.

For the first time, I was glad mom was standing right beside the door. Else, Amyrah would have freaking killed me.

"Nothing."

"Hey Amyrah! Oh my gosh, we can actually have so much fun---" Zehra began excitedly, but stopped when mom gave her a deathly glare.

Mom went towards Amyrah and hugged her. "Welcome home, darling."

"My daughter-in-law is finally home," my step dad said. His voice reminded me of dad, if only he was here right now.

"Um..." Amyrah stayed silent, I guess she didn't know what to reply. Then she flashed mom a fake shy smile and looked down.

That did it. Mom pinched her cheeks and said, "Now now, don't be shy dear."

I rolled my eyes. If only she knew.