49. Mixed feelings

~ The worst feeling is when you don't want to give up on someone, but you know you have to.

Amyrah

Zameer and I, followed by our families and friends, entered the simple yet lavishly decorated hall. The Waleema ceremony. The hall was divided into two, separating the females and the males. YET there were some males in the female section. Seriously, guys?

Just as the hall door opened, the Qaseedah- Barakallahu lakuma wa baraka alaikuma- by Maher Zain began playing. A smile graced my lips.
We're here on this special day.
Our hearts are full of pleasure...

Zameer and I walked-- more like crawled-- so slowly towards the entrance, through a couple of stairs. Step by step. Our hands enterwined. The heavy maroon lehenga, the flowing silk dupatta and the gold sandal made my steps falter-- almost-- against the tip of the stairs, resulting in Zameer's hand encircling around my waist. A tingle through my spine made me look above-- at his eyes-- locking them in a furious battle while his danced with a playful chuckle.

Someone cleared their throat.

I well know who that-- that guy was. Shehzad. Of course. Of course. Of course.

The moment was ruined.

Get me a slipper. And a---- forget it, Amyrah.

I so wanted to embarrass the two of them, but luckily I was in no mood for that. I was exhausted smiling. Smiling and smiling.

Maybe some time later. Surely.

***

Zameer

Letting out a huge sigh, I sat heavily on the chair, the smile never leaving my face. Why? Because of my beau----

"Hey."

Why the hell is Shehzad so bent on ruining my thoughts?

"Y man!?" I glared at him.

"You look so un-handsome with that look, Zammy."

"When did you become so... so sassy?"

In reply he gave an exasperated sigh. What's with him?

"Yo man! You look so hot! I mean look at that!" The nosy, noisy, lazy Aahil made his appearance known, by screaming.

I rolled my eyes.

"Woah man. You're so cool. That slight beard... wow. I can't wait to be a groom myself. I am going to gel my hair just like yours. Wear a red-golden shervani, then give all the people that look of yours. Yaar... your my new hero. Also I so like your---"

Aahil was cut off by Shehzad who almost killed him with his stare and said, "You. Are. So. Gross. Stop talking. Right now. And get lost."

Eh.

"I see the groom has two lovers fighting for him."

Speak of the devil, here he is. Ammar, Amyrah's brother slapped his hand on my shoulder.

Hard.