01. A Sad Goodbye

~Softness is not weakness. It takes courage to be delicate in a world this cruel.

Amyrah

"Where is my book!? Amyrah!!"

"Geez, screaming as if she's at the brink of death, duh!" I muttered, glaring at my idiotic friend, Humaira.

She continued to mess my neatly arranged table searching for her book, cursing and muttering under her breath.

I went close to her and screamed in her ear, "The book is here, Humaira!!"

"Ahh!! Help me..My ears are bleeding!" she said dramatically.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

The door opened and in came my other two idiotic best friends.

"Who's dead?"

"Screaming will damage the vocal cord, cause extreme pressure to the brain and also--"

"Oh puh-leeze."

I have the most indifferent types of best friends. Humaira the drama queen, Zehra the fighting warrior and Bushra the smart and most emotional lady.

And me of course, the cool princess.

"Tomorrow is our final exam. We shouldn't waste our time, let's study," Bushra said.

I rolled my eyes at her while others just glared at her,

"Study, study, study!"

"I am going to sleep."

"Hey," she said softly, "I was just saying," her eyes tearing up.

"Fine, do whatever you guys want, end of discussion," Humaira said in a duh-tone.

I've been living in an all-girls boarding school for the past eight years, and going home only thrice a year. The four of us have been friends ever since.

I switched off my bedside light and snuggled into my pillows. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

***

"Finally exams are over!"
"Let's go pack our things!"
"We are finally going home!"
"Goodbye KBH!!"

The cafeteria was filled with girls pouring out from their classes and so noisy that I couldn't even hear what Humaira was blabbering.

I wasn't happy though. I didnt want to go back there. My home. It was filled with unpleasant memories and I dreaded leaving this place. Sadly, there was no other option, as it seemed.

Then, as expected, an announcement was heard,

"ALL THE SECONDARY STUDENTS OF KEYSTROKE BOARDING SCHOOL! ATTENTION PLEASE! As today is the final day you will be staying at this hostel, it would be better if you all could go now and pack your things as the school van will be leaving at 5 am tomorrow. You will be dropped at the bus station and from there your parents will have to pick you up. Results of the exam will be posted by the end of this month. Good luck every one of you for your future. There will be a special meal tonight for you all as it will be your final meal here."

Unlike before, the cafeteria was quiet. I think it was then that the sadness of leaving this place really sank in.

We walked numbly to our respective dorms and started packing.

We didn't quarrel or ramble as we usually do. It was just silent, only speaking when one of us asked, 'can you pass me that book?' or 'have you seen my hair clip?' oh..and also the sniffing sounds from Bushra.