25. Bonding

~ If you don't let the past die, then it won't let you live.

Zameer

My mouth hung open and eyes widened in shock. B..but how? After I heard Amyrah saying she's engaged to Shehzad, I looked at her in disbelief. How come he didn't even tell me? It's been only one day the two of us had fought, in such a short time he couldn't have already got engaged to her. Or even spoken to her.

How was this even possible? I had to ask Shehzad, but first I've got to apologize to him.

Yersterday I couldn't stay at home, due to mother's unnecessary speech, she had been yelling just because I talked back to her husband. So what if I did? He's the reason for mom and my disputes. Those hateful words of hers.

"You're just like your father, Zameer!"
Thank you, mom.

"One day you will regret speaking to me like this!"
I didn't speak anything wrong.

"I wish you weren't my son!"
The feeling is mutual, mother.

Anger and hate curled hot in my blood. At that time all I could think was, I hate you. I hate you, mom. Why can't we live in peace? Why? Why?

I had called Shehzad, hoping he'll be happy to see me. I was wrong. I was a disturbance. As usual. From childhood, Shehzad was the one who was more sensible, the one to guide me, the one to listen to my bitter words, the one I could blast my anger on. I had told him words I never meant to.

"It was always you, Shehzad. You have everything!"

I never meant to, my heart bled with remorse, but the damage was done. So I quickly left from there. He was right. He always was. I did nothing useful. I always failed. I didn't give a damn. Rich, he said. Money? I laughed. Money is worth nothing, I thought bitterly. If only there was someone who would enquire about myself. If only there was someone who would love me.

I had my own house, own car and an own business, though I never used the house, neither do I work in the business, it was all mine. Every month I receive my fair share of the money, all done by my father. Useless. I don't need it. I don't need anything of his. I am enough for myself. Alone.

I am so pathetic.

***

After dropping Amyrah, I came back home with Zehra. Directly going inside my room, I locked it, alone with my thoughts.

Few minutes of idling, I heard a knock.

"What!?" I shouted.

"Akhi..." (brother)

"What Zehra?" I asked rudely.

"Can I come in?" No.

"Hm," I murmured.

She came in carrying a tray filled with food and said quietly, "I brought you food."

Why does she have to be so caring? I don't even speak to her, yet she does so much for me. Why Zehra? Why?

"I don't need it!" I said loudly.