52

I'd like to thank everyone again for reaching 100k reads on this book ♡

But now, enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

3rd Person Pov:

After five days of walking, the children of Grace Field managed to reach the forest. "We did it!" cheered the younger ones, smiling brightly. "Right ahead, we'll rise up, and you'll be leaving the forest already." told Sonju to Emma, Ray, and (Y/N). He then turned to face the younger children, saying: "Let's rest for the night! We can proceed tomorrow." "This time, leave the dinner to us!" "Then we'll go make more medicine from herbs!" declared the young children, smiling and giggling amongst themselves.

While the kids were preparing dinner, like they said they would, Mujika said: "My, these kids really do learn fast." Alicia said: "This is nothing. Ray, (Y/N), and Emma are way faster!" "Norman was amazing, too! One glance, and baam! He was already a pro!" added Chris, making Mujika smile at them. 'Premium Goods, huh... So these are the brains nurtured at the very best plantation...' thought Sonju, eyeing the three oldest amongst the children.

After eating, Don declared: "All right! Tomorrow we should be reaching B06-32!" "If we keep a good pace, that is." added Natt, sighing lightly at Don's lively behavior. Yvette and Chris both cheered: "Then we're gonna keep a good pace!" "But I don't want to leave you guys..." muttered Mark, looking up at Mujika with a sad expression. "Yes, me neither." admitted Mujika, smiling at the lovely children.

"Gilda, what's the matter?" asked Ray, noticing that said girl was quiet. She looked up at him from her sitting position, saying: "Ah, no, it's... I was just rethinking our plans..." "Huh? How come?" asked Lannion, tilting his head slightly. Ray glanced over at (Y/N), who was helping the younger children pack their things. It warmed his heart, seeing that she could smile like that again.

"Well, I was thinking about those 'stories of old' that Sonju told us..." said Gilda, trailing off. She looked over at Emma, saying: "It's good to know that there's a human world somewhere. But, on the other hand... We thought that there would be human groups here, in this world." Emma seemed to think for a few moments, carefully going through her thoughts. "We were counting on human cities or something, but there's nothing. No other humans to join, either. And we need more people to rescue the kids left on the farm... That's why we have to think it all over again."

Ray sighed, saying: "You're correct. We already did that. Well, partly." "Hm? How? When?" asked Gilda, looking at Ray in a questioning way. He nodded towards (Y/N), saying: "(Y/N) was breaking her head over the same thing. So I helped her by making a plan." Emma blinked a few times, then asked: "Really? But just in case..." She then went towards the giant, friendly Demon, asking: "Sonju. Are there more humans like us? Runaways?"

He looked at her as she continued her questioning: "You should know, right? Did you hear anything in your travels?" He immediately answered: "Never heard of it. And, even if there were any... It'd be a small count indeed. One or two at best." At that, Emma, Ray, Gilda, Lanni, Don, and Thoma gasped, not expecting that answer.

"But why?" asked Emma, not understanding it. "Plantations may have nothing in common with one another but the name. In particular, premium-grade plantations like your Grace Field are exceptional. The large majority are for factor farming." said Sonju, earning confused looks from all of the children. (Y/N) walked closer towards him, asking: "Factor farming as in... mass production?"

Sonju nodded at her, saying: "Quick to catch on, as always. That's right. The mass production of cheap meat. Where the livestock is kept in poor conditions, barely even living... Just fattening for the slaughter. Humans born in such farms don't even learn a language. They have no names. They have no free will. And they most certainly couldn't even conceive of escaping. Though, even if they did, they'd get nowhere, anyhow."

At that, all of the escapees were shocked. Who wouldn't be? It was awful to imagine how those poor children had to live, without knowing anything. Not even knowing how to talk. "Incidentally, among several hundred plantations, the premium-grade ones amount to a mere four." noted Sonju, making the children gasp once more. "Four? Only four?!" asked Don, not believing what he just heard.

Sonju said: "If this 'Minerva' has really hidden instructions, he must have worked with these four at best. Your one, and three others. You've told me of how you came to find out the truth and plan your escape. However, I have serious doubts that such a feat could be achieved often." All of the children were listening closely, taking in the new information they were given.

"What's more, you yourselves must know better than anyone how hard it is to survive, once outside. Other fugitives are therefore quite unlikely. Albeit... I've sometimes heard of cattle raiders." continued Sonju, looking over the children once. "Those are 'Demons' who, consumed by the desire to eat humans, attack plantations to steam them. They're exceptionally rare, though. They might be useful tools for your cause. I can think of nothing else of use."

(Y/N) put a hand to her mouth, already thinking about those raiders. She sneezed, but didn't stop her thoughts. "However, it depends a lot on how you'd go about it. At any rate, there are no humans out here comparable to you in intelligence and knowledge. These are the hard facts." "I see..." muttered (Y/N). She went up to Ray, taking his hand in hers in an attempt to calm herself. 'This is not only bad, but even worse than that.' she thought, glancing up at Ray to find the comfort she was looking for. He, of course, gave it to her without any second thoughts by putting his arm around her shoulders, pulling her a bit closer to him.

Later that day, Emma was sitting alone somewhere, thinking about everything that she and her siblings were informed about. "Emma." called Mujika, walking up to the orange haired girl. "Mujika!" "Are you okay? After... Well, all that..." "It's fine, it's fine! That thing about the factory farming was quite a shock, really... But we'll find a way to secure a safe place and get more comrades. We'll come up with something! Even if it seems impossible, we can do it!" said Emma in her usual, cheerful, energetic voice.

She smiled at Mujika with determination, saying: "I can't afford to sulk around. I have to forge ahead... For the sake of my little brothers and sisters. They're counting on me." After a little silence of Mujika, Emma asked: "Wanna see them? Wanna see our family?" She then proceeded to show Mujika the pictures that Ray took back at the Grace Field House, naming every child.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://weheartit.com/entry/329742254