114

3rd Person Pov:

"But are you actually glad?" asked Ray, his eyes fixed on Emma. Completely caught off guard, Emma didn't know how to react. "Huh...? What do you mean?" she asked, looking at her best friend for help.

(Y/N), instead of helping her out, backed up Ray by saying: "Norman was talking about destroying all of the plantations." Ray asked: "You oppose this after all, don't you, Emma?" To that, she kept silent for a moment.

Then, she began laughing nervously, saying: "What? There's no way I could oppose it. More than anything, we won't have to keep running away. You said it, too, Ray! 'If there's really a strategy to eliminate all of the Demons, that would be the most reliable option'." She even tried to imitate his voice in order to distract her friends from this topic.

"Yeah, I said that. But that isn't the future you're looking for, is it?" Emma's eyes widened at Ray's words. He was right. He was completely right, and it didn't sit well with her. Tightening her hands into fists, she said: "Yeah... I'm a bit weird..."

Sighing, she continued: "Norman's kindness and honesty... I can understand how everyone could be so delighted. 'If there were no Demons'... But you know... I don't want to kill the Demons." Emma looked to the ground, feeling ashamed of her emotions.

"Emma..." trailed (Y/N) off, looking at her friend with sympathy. "Isn't it strange? Even though everyone is so happy, and although that would be happiness... I also want the Demons to be happy." explained Emma, still not looking at either of them.

"This isn't just about ourselves. I was all too eager to think that. Even so, I dragged everyone into more and more dangerous situations, wishing that I'd be able to make choices I could be proud of. It disgusts me." she said, her tone lowered as she said those last few words.

She leaned onto the railing to her right, covering her head with her hands. Her voice was quiet and almost shaky as she said: "I don't want to be eaten... I absolutely will not let them eat us. The shipments, and the hunting, I hate it all. Even though they're the enemy, just... What is the difference between a Demon and I?"

Remembering the Demon children they had seen on their 'adventures', Emma sighed once more. "Demons have families and friends, too. They think like us, laugh like us, and live like us. And though they eat humans, which is something I absolutely despise, Demons do it for the same reason as humans. They do it to survive. All they're doing is eating."

Finally looking back up, Emma's eyes were filled with tears and uncertainty as she asked: "Is it okay to eradicate them just because they're the enemy? No matter how much I hate them, or how scared I am... Is there really no other way than eradicating them?"

She held tightly onto the necklace she once got, saying: "Besides, Mujika is our friend. I don't want to destroy Mujika's family." "If that's how you really feel, why didn't you say anything yesterday?" asked Ray, looking over at her.

Emma sighed lightly, answering: "I'm not saying anything. I won't argue with this choice. Because what everyone wants is a future where the Demons are eradicated. And more than anything else, 'the seven walls' could be something that won't work."

"Emma." tried (Y/N) again, but the orange haired girl kept on talking. "If not eating humans makes it so they can't sustain their figure... If we change the promise again, the Demons will degenerate and that'll eventually be the same as eradicating them. I wish we had some alternative... But there isn't one. What should I do, Ray, (Y/N)? I don't know what to do."

Without missing a beat, Ray replied: "I don't know either." "Huh?!" "It's just like you said. The 'seven walls' route isn't something that will work. And even if we just forcibly escaped to the human world, the risk of us being chased, or starting a war is too high."

He lightly shook his head, saying: "Right now, humans are an absolutely essential food source for the Demons and their characteristics. If you want to save all of the cattle children, no matter how you cut it, Norman's method is the only choice. Nothing can be done. Or rather, you have no place to argue. Norman is correct."

Placing a hand onto Emma's shoulder, Ray said: "For now, there's nothing we can do, huh?" "Huh?! Wait, I don't understand!" called Emma out, looking at him with wide eyes. (Y/N) let out a sigh, asking: "Neither of you realized?" "What?" they both asked at the same time, their attention now solely focused on (Y/N).

(Y/N) Pov:

"I wanted to bring it up with you two, but couldn't find the right time. Norman said that Demons have to eat in order to keep their appearance and everything, but... It doesn't add up." I said, leaning onto the railing behind me, looking at both Ray and Emma.

Emma thought for a moment, while Ray asked: "Why didn't you say that sooner? That's... You're right! That could be something worth bringing up to him. Those two could throw off his plan."

Finally having understood what they were talking about, Emma gasped, saying: "Mujika and Sonju!" "Mhm. They told us that they don't eat humans." I said, nodding at her. "Both Sonju and Mujika have human forms and high intelligence, despite not eating humans." stated Emma, a lightbulb lighting up in her head.

Ray added: "And also 'inheriting the traits of what you eat'. Those two ate birds and fish, but their appearance didn't undergo any kind of change." I nodded, saying: "I have three theories for this. One, they were lying. Two, it takes rather long for Demons to change their forms. Or three, they're exceptions that don't need to eat humans."

"That means... If all the Demons were like Mujika, there might be a way for the Demons and humans to co-exist... No, even I know that's too convenient of a wish. I wonder if Norman knows about it. About how there are Demons like Mujika." said Emma, deep in thoughts.

I shrugged, while Ray said: "Dunno. But if he doesn't, this could be bad." "Bad as in...?" trailed Emma off, looking at him with a questioning expression. I answered: "If there are more than just those two that don't need to eat humans, some of them might want to eat humans. And even if the plantations are destroyed, they won't degenerate. They'll remain as they are now- intelligent."

"On the other hand, if Norman already knows, we might be able to ask him about the existence of that 'exception'. Depending on the situation, we might get a hint about how humans and Demons could possibly live together." said Ray, to which Emma smiled brightly, saying: "Ray, you...!"

He quickly stated: "Although I'm only doing this for (Y/N). She doesn't want to kill the Demons, either." Emma looked over at me, then trapped me in a tight hug, saying: "You really think so, (Y/N)? Ah, you truly are my best friend!"

I chuckled, returning her hug, saying: "I do, Emma. I realized when we visited the first village." She released me from her hug, a proud expression on her face. "I knew I could rely on you guys. Now, let's go talk to Norman about this. I'm sure we can change his mind!" she claimed, smiling like usual.

"To be honest, I think co-existence with the Demons is impossible. But we also owe a lot to Sonju and Mujika. You two choose whatever you want. I'll lend you my shoulder. No matter what choice you make, it'll be okay." said Ray, smiling at us.

"Ray..." I trailed off, smiling brightly at him. And just like Emma did with me before, I hugged Ray, saying: "Thank you, Ray! It really means a lot to me!" "(Y-(Y/N)... Let's get going already." he said, causing me to chuckle. "Okay!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/136233957468325321/