12

(Y/N) Pov:

"What? Human trafficking?" asked Don as Gilda's eyes widened. I sat nex to Ray on top of the ladder, still holding onto his hand. It makes me feel safer. Emma answered: "Yeah. All of our siblings have been sold off to bad people." Don stood still for a few seconds before bursting out laughing. "There's no way! No way!" he said between laughter. Norman said: "But the walls, the gate, and the siblings who left and never write us letters..." "Oh come on, now." He stopped laughing and asked: "So what's the punch line? What kind of prank is this?" I asked: "Why would we make something up like this?" He looked at me, then at the others. "You're not saying it's true, are you?" "It's true." said Ray. "Wait. Then what about Mama?" Emma looked down, saying: "She's the one... who's selling us to bad people." Don suddenly got angry, saying: "Huh?! There's no way that kind Mama would do such a thing! Take it back, Emma!" He grabbed Emma by her shoulders. Gilda said: "Don." We looked at her as she said: "Emma loves this House and Mama. So there's no way she would lie about that." Don let go of Emma, looking sad and frustrated at Gilda. "Gilda." said Emma. She said: "And I did think it was weird. The night Conny left... Emma, (Y/N), and Norman went to the gate, and..." "You did?" asked Don, looking back at Emma, then Norman, then me. I nodded, biting my lower lip. Those pictures are coming back. Conny... I started shaking, trying not to cry. Gilda said: "Even if you broke the rules, all of you would usually apologize immediately, and everything would go back to normal." Suddenly, Ray pulled me closer to him, hugging me. I hesitated, but returned it eventually. I started to calm down as Gilda continued: "But you haven't done that. Emma, you've become so serious now. And (Y/N), you got so lifeless... So I couldn't ask about it." My eyes widened as I glanced down at her. She started to cry, so Emma quickly walked up to her, saying: "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Gilda. We made you worry." "Gilda..." I said, watching as Emma stood by her side. She asked: "Did you see it, Emma, (Y/N)? Conny being sold off... to those bad people." Before we could answer, Norman did. "Yeah. But we didn't make it in time." "Conny is safe, right?" asked Don loudly, clearly concerned. "I don't know." answered Norman, making me and Ray tense up. We looked at each other, then back down at Norman. "But how... How could this even happen?" asked Don. Norman said: "I don't know if this proves anything, but these are our siblings' scores that I had Ray and (Y/N) look into for the past few days." "Scores?" asked Don and Gilda at the same time. I hugged Ray tighter, remembering all of our siblings that were shipped out. "The ones who left are over six years old and adopted in the order of lowest scores first. Isn't that weird?" explained Norman, giving them the list. Don said: "True, Conny's scores are... And Hao and Sadie..." "You're right, Norman." said Gilda, looking at the scores. "Don. Gilda." said Emma, gaining our attention. She said: "Let's escape from here and go help Conny and the others. Let's all run away from here, together!" "Please help us." I said, looking down at them. They both looked at me, then at Emma, nodding. Emma and I smiled at them. Another step. Not much and we'll be free.

After that, the four of us stood in the hallway. "Good night." I said as Emma started to drag me along with her towards our room.

Ray Pov:

As soon as they left I turned towards Norman, saying: "Hey, Norman." He asked: "Is it about the shipment?" while still watching the girls disappear. "What do you mean you 'don't know'? You should have said they died!" I said, glaring at him. He remained calm and said: "That was the best way to smoothly get them to help us." "If they weren't the spies after all... then this kind of lie is too cruel. (Y/N) felt the same. 'They're alive'? Don't give them hope that doesn't exist." He didn't say anything, so I continued: "How and when are you going to tell them the truth? Can you tell them?" He answered: "I'll cross that bridge when I get there. We're still assuming they might be the spies, too. So I'm going to lay a trap." "A trap?" I asked. "I'll tell both of them where the rope is hidden. I'll tell Don it's under my bed. To Gilda, I'll tell her it's in the ceiling of the second floor bathroom. Who will make a move? How will Mama find out? We can trace it from there." "And the ropes? If they weren't the spies, and there's nothing there, it'll get complicated." I asked. "I have something else for that, too." "So you're completely prepared, huh?" "I told you. We have to outwit her." He looked at me with a smile. "And I still have my trump card." "Trump card?" I asked, but got no answer.

3rd Person Pov:

"It's been a while since we talked like this." stated Gilda, sitting next to (Y/N) and Emma. Emma said: "It's weird, right? Even though we're together every day." "Mhm." hummed (Y/N) as response. Gilda put each hand onto one of the girls', asking: "And we'll be together from now on, too, right?" The two girls smiled at her, both putting their other hand on Gilda's. "Yeah." said Emma. They smiled at each other.

Time skip: night time

3rd Person Pov:

While all of the children were sleeping, Gilda sat up, putting her glasses on. She looked over at the sleeping forms of Emma and (Y/N) before quietly walking towards the door. She left the room, causing Emma and (Y/N) to look at each other. Emma was afraid. Afraid that Gilda could be the spy. (Y/N) had some thoughts to it, too, but she wasn't as nervous as Emma.

Someone slid a note under the door to Isabella's office. She smiled and went to collect it. She opened it, reading the three words on it. "I see. The rope is hidden in Norman's bed." she said.

Gilda stood in front of a door, waiting for it to be opened. And the person inside did just that. "I've been waiting for you, Gilda." said Sister Krone. Emma put her ear to the door, listening, while (Y/N) stood next to her, waiting patiently.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://pin.it/iKdkgjm