109

Hello everyone!

I just felt the need to thank you for all of your comments and votes.

Idk why, but it felt like I haven't done that in a while, so, yeah :)

Oh, and this chapter will have a lot of information! Just so you know!

Anyways, enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

3rd Person Pov:

"'What the Demons are'?" repeated Lani, looking at Thoma, just to make sure that he understood that right. One of the other children asked: "Well, they're monsters, aren't they?"

Norman kept a stern expression on his face as he said: "If they don't eat people, they can't sustain their appearance and shape." "Appearance and shape?" repeated (Y/N), muttering to herself.

"No one knows their original appearance. They were probably something like 'bacteria'. The main mechanism for bacteria to multiply is through division. They barely change at all, while separating and making copies. Those bacteria somehow underwent some kind of evolution and transformed. And those would be 'mutations', and 'horizontal gene propagation'." started Norman, his eyes scanning the children in the room.

A few of them seemed to understand what he was saying, while the majority seemed lost, so he explained a little more. "Horizontal gene propagation is where genes from other species 'incidentally cross over' and are adopted by another. 'Their' evolution is similar to something like that."

The younger ones still didn't get what he was saying, so he put it into simpler words. "Whenever 'they' eat, they evolve. They take on the genes of what they've eaten, and inherit its traits. If they eat insects, they become like insects. And if they eat fish, they become like fish. In short, they were able to acquire a number of various traits, and evolved into all kinds of forms."

He crossed his arms, continuing: "And eventually, they ate humans. They took on the shape of humans, as well as their advanced intellect. They acquired language and culture. Humans were the number one food source for them. Before long, the Demons surpassed humans, and became their natural enemy."

Taking in a deep breath, Norman paused for a short moment, giving them time to process this information. "After evolving at an astounding rate and transforming, they developed into the apex predators. Humans became afraid of them. Demons, monsters, devils, gods. They were called many different things."

Closing his eyes, he continued: "But they are still living beings. Their special characteristics aren't always advantageous for them. There's a price to pay for evolving too quickly. They have unique differences, and because they don't have an original form to return to, they need to continue eating to be able to keep the traits they inherit."

"I see..." muttered (Y/N), focusing on the newfound information. "Demons eat humans, because otherwise they would lose their form, as well as their intellect. Once they knew of the taste of humans, and of their form and intelligence, they desired it. They continued to eat humans. Even after the promise was forged."

Pushing himself off of the desk, Norman said: "That is the true identity of the Demons." The children immediately began asking questions such as: "Evolving through eating...?" "Just by eating?" "For that purpose, they ate humans..." "So that's why there are all kinds of Demons..." "And also why they created the farms... To cultivate us."