Chapter 2 - Movies (Maria)

Rialoves2cook: Hey friends! In today's cooking post I'm giving you a taste of my parents' homeland, the Philippines! Sinigang na hito sa miso is a catfish variation of one of my favourite soups. It features amazing tamarind which came in season this month out here. It'll pop up in more of my recipes as I take advantage of the incredibly fresh Thai produce.

#fresh #catfishsoup #fromThailandwithlove #cookingforfriends

Posted: November 23rd, 6:15 PM

YouronlySunshine: Keep living your best life out there, Maria! I'm very jealous. P.S. someone was 100% bragging like a jerk about how he got to eat this delicious meal with you. No more soup for him :P

Rialoves2cook: Hmm, I may have to cut him off.

MagicMitch: Don't be like that, Sun! I'll share the next one. Just jump back on a plane :P

YouronlySunshine: I wish I could <3

Rialoves2cook: <3 <3 I'll make you a feast when I fly home someday.

***

Was she making a mistake?

Maria had agreed to go to the movies with Tom as friends, an activity she hadn't done once yet in the month and a bit she'd lived in Bangkok. Saying yes had felt like she was reclaiming her life after cutting Adrian and his toxicity out of it last weekend. Now with Mitch sharing that Tom was treating this like some sort of competition over her, she doubted her choice. It wasn't that Tom was a bad guy, he was sweet, thoughtful, and loved his family as much as she did hers. She just needed a little more time to figure out who she was before dating again.

As she slipped on her shoes in Mitch's entryway, she reminded herself, he had an agenda too, though each time they hung out left her more confused about what it was. He smiled at her from where he leaned against the far wall, his tall frame almost a full foot taller than hers. His blue eyes reminded her of the ocean they'd sat beside as their lips crashed together, hers hungry for the freedom from her ex. 

Somehow, Mitch had been the responsible one to stop them and coax her to confront the lying, manipulative jerk who'd still been making her life miserable months after their break-up. But Mitch had also offered to take her back to his hotel to celebrate being single, which after his kiss, had been challenging to turn down. Since then, he'd done nothing but hang out and flirt with her, but without expecting anything in return.   

"Have fun tonight, at the very least," Mitch said with a smile that made it harder to leave. 

She wished she could be that carefree. "Thanks." Before she changed her mind, she stepped into their apartment hallway.

Outside Maria's door, Tom waited, arms crossed over his light brown t-shirt. His brow furrowed when his gaze met hers. "Isn't that Mitch's room?" He inclined his head toward the door. While his tone was more curious than harsh, the accusation shook her a little. But they were just hanging out. What did it matter if she was at Mitch's?

"I had to drop something off. Sorry, I'm late." She looked at the ground as she pulled her keys out of her pocket. How much of the conversation had Tom overheard through the thin walls?

His eyes widened. "That's alright. Are you ready to go now?"

"Almost. Just have to grab my purse if you want to come in."

He glanced at his phone and shoved it and his hands in his pockets. "Sure, I guess we have time."

Inside her place, Maria rummaged for her wallet and a small handbag then tossed them on her bed. She grabbed a loose-fitted top and sneaked into the bathroom to change from her cooking clothes. When she emerged, Tom was looking at photos she'd printed at home in Edmonton and sticky-tacked to her wall.