Chapter 4 Ayutthaya (Maria)

Rialoves2cook: Surprise trip today, for you and I both! My neighbour, who you might remember from my cooking contest videos, gave me a tour of Ayutthaya, one of Siam's ancient capitals, that's quite close to Bangkok. He's shockingly knowledgeable about its history and the local foods, so I'll leave you with a compilation of his fun facts and our adventure.

#friendventures #badassbattles #tastyboatnoodles #thismanlovestotalk

Posted: December 1st, 9:50 PM

SameerasKitchen: You two are adorbs <3 You should do another together. Your view numbers definitely agree!

***

Maria frowned as she and Mitch stepped off the bus at a large, dome-shaped building flanked by two towers with pale yellow trim. The Thai flag blew in the soothing wind against a powder blue sky. He looked down at her with a twinkle of amusement in his eye. People left their taxi cabs with suitcases in hand.

Maria folded her arms. "I thought we were going to a market for ingredients."

"There are markets in Ayutthaya if that's how you want to spend your time there."

"Ayutthaya? Isn't that outside of the city?" It was almost midday, and they had to work tomorrow, hardly the moment for a trip.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and guided her toward the train station doors. "Gorgeous and smart. Aren't you a catch?"

Maria shook off his embrace and sighed. "Mitch."

"Oh c'mon, you've been stressed all week trying to finish teaching your material before exams, and top it off with leading Saturday class yesterday. I won't make you sit in a hot kitchen showing me how to cook all afternoon."

"I can't afford this."

"Do you think I'd take you out on a splashy adventure? Trust me." He dug in his wallet for a 20 baht note that was worth less than a Canadian dollar. "This is the price of a train ticket in each direction. A bike is another 30 baht, and there's lunch and small temple donations, but I got those since this is my fault."

"How can a train cost almost the same as a city air-con bus?"

"Don't question it, just enjoy the little victories." Mitch smiled. "Plus moneybags, I know you've started tutoring because Min Min keeps chatting about you in homework class. You've made quite the impression."

Maria fought her smile. "She's such a sweet kid, though I don't know why her parents are paying me. I think she could converse with a brick wall for hours."

Mitch laughed and crept his arm back around her shoulders. She should have shaken it off, but she leaned into him instead as they entered the station. The corrugated metal ceiling was less impressive from the inside. Maybe he wasn't lying about the prices, and Ayutthaya was gorgeous in Sunshine's pictures. Ancient temples, elephants, and statues. Her feet had itched ever since they returned from their group beach trip last weekend, and her ears were more receptive to travel stories now.

Mitch bought their tickets for the price he'd promised, and they crossed the gates and down to the platform past half a dozen other trains. Their third-class train section had brown padded bench seats and windows they could pull down, which the other passengers had already done.

She settled into the window seat while he stretched his legs toward the aisle. A young girl ran up, stopping in her tracks when she saw him. She crept over and inspected him from head to toe. He responded to her in Thai, and her eyes widened before answering. Each exchange caused her grin to grow until she sped off to chatter excitedly to her mother.