Chapter 11 - Nachos 'n Drama (Maria)

Rialoves2cook: What can you bring to a last-minute get-together? Nachos! They're such a versatile snack that you can tweak to fit your taste buds. My family's version features the ever-popular cheese, as well as cabbage, mayo, onion, peppers, ground beef and my Thai touch of bird's-eye chilli pepper. You'll want a drink on hand to chase these. I can't wait until mango season in the spring to pair these with fruit salsa! Big thanks to Tom for lending me his kitchen and roughing out the onion dicing.

#Pinoynachos #drinkingsnacks #noonewinsfriendswithsalad #Thankgoodnessmyfriendshelpmecook

Posted: Dec 13, 7:50 PM

TomDemchuk: Happy to help any time you need :D

***

After finishing up the nachos, Maria hurried to her room to change before heading back. Time slowed down when they were together, like those last ten minutes of class weeks ago when her lessons were derailing and she couldn't get her students to focus. He was nice, but like Emma said, too intense.

Maria changed into a loose blouse and shorts then dug through her fridge for drinks with flavours that would complement the spiciness and savoury nature of the meaty nachos. The cool air was a welcome relief on her sweaty skin. When a knock interrupted her decision, she shut the fridge door and unlocked her front one.

Mitch stood there, hallway light brightening that stomach flipping smile. "Great, you're done at Tom's already."

"Nah, just finished making the food. I'm heading over there now." As the words left her mouth, a sinking pit settled in her gut.

He stepped closer, and she willed herself not to shudder at his familiar, alluring scent. "If you'd rather come dancing, Emma, Shawn, and I are going. It's a local place, so the drinks are cheap and it's free of obnoxious tourists."

She lit up with heat. That sounded so much more appealing than drinks at Tom's, but after last weekend, she couldn't risk slipping into Mitch's arms."Minus yourself, right?"

He chuckled. "Clever. So, you in?"

Her body screamed at her to say yes and rewrite the night he'd punched that asshole for her. She'd needed to run out of that seedy bathroom to stop herself from kissing Mitch again. "Not tonight."

"You'd rather sit with captain buzz kill and have Becca pry into your life?"

Mitch could be right about her, but Maria didn't wish to fall victim to one person's mindset as she had with her ex. Becca had been a close friend of her cousin, and she'd been nice to Maria in the past. "She wants to catch up."

He crossed his arms. "You're not that naïve, Maria. There's a reason she's pushing, and you don't deserve to be caught up in that."

"You mean what you did to her?"

Mitch bowed his head then met her gaze. "Yes, and she can't punish you for that because we're friends. Come out with us and spare yourself the headache."

"I'll join you next time. I promise." Calm down, heart. He called you a friend.

He pouted and patted her on the arm. "Remember, I tried to save you."

"It won't be that bad. You guys have fun and try not to get in anymore fights."

He chewed on his bottom lip, which she found far too sexy, and he shifted his weight from one foot to the other a couple of times before wishing her a good night.

She darted into her room for drinks and her phone, then locked up and left for Tom's. On the way down, Prae texted she was in the courtyard, so Maria went there first. Standing beside a bench that overlooked the gardens, Prae clutched a bag of bottles from 7-11 and a container of wings in the other. The Thai woman wore her hair down and in gentle waves, unlike the typical pristine buns she wore at work.