Chapter 39 - Pierogies (Tom)

A group of students stood at the front of Tom's class explaining how the ball joints in their structure would absorb a shock during an earthquake with detailed diagrams in their PowerPoint presentation. They'd used the proper terminology well, and Dao demonstrated how the model of their building rocked slightly when she wiggled the base, but it remained intact. Once they'd finished presenting, the class, including Tom, broke into thunderous applause.

"That was an incredibly detailed presentation! You should all be very proud of the work you've done," Tom said. "And I hope it inspired the rest of you to take your projects to the next level like they did."

"Can we test it, Mr. Tom?" Dao asked with sparkling eyes. Tom had promised they'd simulate earthquakes and windstorms to analyze the integrity of the structures, and it had energized the class to finish their projects sooner than he'd anticipated.

"Not today because I have another announcement. We have a visitor next week, a structural engineer who has worked on skyscrapers. After he explains his recent projects, I'd like to keep our structures intact to give you the opportunity to show off your work."

Some students frowned and whispered amongst each other while others had more upbeat tones and smiles. Dao, who really came alive during this science unit, looked over her structure with a grin.

"Thank you, Mr. Tom," she said.

"I extend my thanks to all of you. It's your dedication and scientific inquiry that inspired me to reach out to bring in experts."

"Is the expert from Canada?"

"No, he's Thai and born in Bangkok like many of you." Tom considered a video call with an international engineer to keep the presentation in English, but the benefits of relating to the role model and having him clarify their specific questions in Thai about the Thai engineering field outweighed the school's strong focus on English during his classes.

The students chatted excitedly as the group who'd presented answered questions about their work.

Once class ended and he headed downstairs to the staff room, he ran into Prae, who shared the same prep period.

"How were the presentations?" Prae asked with a grin.

"Very well done. I can't wait to see what the other groups have created. How was your class?"

"Not as exciting. We're learning how to use the present perfect continuous." Her heels clicked on the stairs as they neared the third-floor landing.

It was fortunate Prae was teaching since he hardly knew what that meant. "I imagine you make grammar exciting."

She laughed. "I motivate them by telling them it's their key to international universities and jobs."

"Did you always want to teach grammar?"

"I wanted to teach English, and the grammar is the section I'm assigned to instruct."

Prae looked between them then straight ahead at the younger students lingering to chat in the halls. She called out to them in Thai and they separated and hurried into their classes. Her grip on her basket of supplies tightened.

Tom wanted to say more about the unfair situation, that the administration pigeonholed a woman with an education degree into teaching a particular course because she was Thai, but in the halls where anyone could overhear, he'd only get diplomatic answers from Prae. At least she was attending the potluck party, and perhaps they could talk more there.

"Are you excited about Saturday?"

"It should be fun."

"Any Canadian foods you're dying to try?"