Chapter 36 - Tom Yum Goong (Maria)

Maria stirred a mug of instant coffee, the hot water warming her hand through the ceramic. The office was quiet and nearly empty as she had arrived early to prep activities for the upcoming weeks. Since they'd lost half the week to New Year's, and it was Friday, most of her coworkers were still in holiday mode and would show up minutes before the admin considered them tardy.

Prae joined Maria in the staff kitchen. "How was your date?"

"A lot of fun. You were right about Tom. He's a great guy."

It had been far too long since she felt both free and cherished without the fear that she'd lose their affection. He'd turned each blaring motorbike into an excuse to kiss her, and she loved every cheesy second of it. Most importantly, Tom had listened when she stated she wanted to have male friends, or specifically Mitch. Maria suspected it wasn't easy for Tom to accept, but he had or had at least kept his objections to himself. She'd considered walking to work with him this morning, but didn't want to rush their relationship like she and Adrian had done.

Prae grinned and grabbed a coffee packet as well. "I'm so happy for both of you. It's fortunate we spent the holiday together."

"It wasn't lucky for you. How are you doing?"

"I'm great." Her smile seemed forced as she added hot water to her mug.

"Are you sure?" Maria looked around the quiet staff room. "It's only us here."

"When you walk a certain path, you give up others. My family may not agree, but I want to grow my career here."

"They're not mutually exclusive. Last time we talked you wanted to date and have a career."

Prae sighed and tossed out her empty coffee packet. "Don't worry about me, Maria. Focus on you and Tom."

"Are you sure there's no one at the school, not one awesome single teacher who'd be perfect for you that you've overlooked?" Maria sipped her hot coffee.

Prae kept her voice low. "There aren't many options. Most teachers here are women, and the men are married or have no interest in it."

"There has to be someone. Aren't there staff photos on the wall outside?"

"You're being silly, Maria. This isn't important."

"Humour me. Worst case scenario, it might make us laugh. It's Friday after all."

"What if someone asks what we're doing?"

"I'll lie and accept the blame. Foreigner teachers are always doing something you think is weird."

Prae looked across the kitchen's half wall to the empty staff desks. "Ok, only for fun."

They left the oasis of the air-conditioned office to find the teacher's pictures on the hallway wall. Maria recognized some of the kindergarten teachers she'd worked with during October camp and her primary four co-workers. Of the teaching staff, there were seven Thai men: the supposed player, four married ones, another in his fifties, which left one guy Prae didn't know well or if he still worked at the school.

"We should find out if he still teaches here and if he's single. He's kind of cute."

A laugh echoed behind Maria, and she froze. How had she missed someone approaching?

"Did your date go that poorly, or are you reconsidering monogamy?"

Maria's stomach flipped. She had done everything in her power to push that man out of her head yesterday after he called her beautiful and wrapped her in a hug she never wished to leave. By the time she and Tom had left the restaurant, she'd succeeded, but Mitch could pull her back effortlessly.