Chapter 56 - The River Part 1 (Mitch)

White light glowed from lanterns hanging from the trees as the Khwae Yai River flowed in front of Mitch, Tom, and Shawn. The clatter of glasses and utensils echoed along with instrumental music and conversations in Thai, English, French, and Mandarin. Tom, who'd surprisingly taken Mitch up on his offer to hang out, sipped on his fourth beer, which loosened him up a little compared to during dinner.

"Feeling any better, Tom?" Mitch leaned in to ask over the music.

"A little. I don't always eat cheeseburgers in Thailand, but when I do, it's because the woman who meant to become my girlfriend dumped me during the trip I planned to ask her."

Shawn laughed. "Nicely put, man. Seriously though, her timing is messed up."

"The entire relationship was doomed from the start."

Mitch sipped on his Coke. "Why do you say that? You two seemed happy."

Tom let out a dry laugh. "You're kidding." Mitch just blinked, unsure of what was so funny. "Never mind."

Shawn raised an eyebrow at Mitch as if he were trying to prove a point. His suspicion was unfounded because if Tom knew about Maria's crush on Mitch, he'd punch Mitch in the face. Unless Tom saved that for dessert tonight. The guy didn't mince words, but he also seemed like the grudge and long-game type.

Shawn lifted his glass. "Here's to break ups. May each one be easier and kinder to us than the previous."

"And may it be the last one," Tom added.

If he was open to dating Prae, that might be a possibility. That woman wouldn't dream of breaking up with him without a valid reason. Not that Maria's actions weren't valid, but Mitch just didn't believe that Shawn's assumptions were correct. From everything he and Prae had heard, Maria and Tom's relationship was solid.

After they clinked glasses, Mitch let the bubbles of the sparkling water dance on his tongue. "At least you come out of this an optimist."

"I don't plan on asking out another woman unless I'm absolutely sure about her." Tom took a swig of lager. "Doesn't Maria realize her indecision hurts people?"

Mitch looked at Shawn, as he wasn't the best person to field this discussion.

"I don't imagine she did it to hurt you. It says more about her than it does about you," Shawn said.

That was a subtle jab if Mitch ever heard one, but he deserved it.

Tom scoffed. "That's a load of crap. She constantly compared me to another man, and I lost despite how terribly he treated her."

Mitch clenched his fists. "Her piece-of-shit ex isn't back, is he?"

Tom shook his head. "It's easier to pretend someone else is the villain, isn't it?"

Mitch furrowed his brow. If Tom was implying Maria still had feelings for Mitch, she'd had countless opportunities to voice them but had avoided him. "What are you talking about?"

"You slept with her!" Tom bellowed.

"What the hell, Mitch?"

"Hold up." Was that why Maria broke up with him because he'd thrown around unjust accusations? "I never did that."

"She told me, and you're lying to my face. You're unbelievable," Tom muttered the last part.

"What did she tell you?" It must have been a misinterpretation because Mitch hadn't done what Tom was insinuating unless dreams counted.

"You asked her to sleep at your place because you acted sad and claimed you didn't want to be alone. Our relationship isn't a game for you to win." Tom glared and sipped his beer as if his anger needed any more fuel.