Chapter 16 - Christmas shopping (Maria)

Rialoves2cook: It's hard to believe it'll be Christmas in a week's time! I've received my first present from a wonderful student I tutor who is an absolute blast to work with. My emotional side loves the photo of us in a hand-painted frame, while my sweet tooth is dying to dig into all these different chocolates and candies. . Now, I have to wrap up my holiday shopping. I just learned it can take up to 5 weeks to ship items to Canada outside of airmail, so my apologies for any delays.

#spoiledteacher #holidayshopping #Ilovemyjob #MerryValentinesDaygifts?

Posted December 18th, 8:30 PM

Tinanator: I also accept gifts in plane-ticket form

Rialoves2cook: I would love to fly the entire family out if I could <3

CamillaTomas: Don't worry yourself with the presents, iha. A video call is a wonderful present this year.

Rialoves2cook: Can't wait <3

***

Min Min bounced on her family's white couch, singing almost accurate lyrics to a Christmas song, while Maria organized the next vocabulary game. Mitch had shared the list of terms on Min Min's upcoming exams and a few examples of educational games he liked to play with the kids. Most of the activities she could transfer to her classroom, which made Science and English lessons more successful and exciting for her students.

Today, she and Min Min were playing headbands to practise posing questions to figure out the hidden words attached to their foreheads. Not that Min Min needed the motivation to ask questions, as she had a hundred and one to ask Maria each week. Out of habit, she and some of the other students sometimes forgot the question structures even though she would have learned them in younger grades.

"You think Mr. Mitch is handsome?" Min Min asked.

"That has nothing to do with the human body systems. Let's stick to our lesson."

"It's about integumentary and muscular systems."

Did Mitch teach his students to sass on top of the curriculum? Glancing at his studying cheat sheet, Min Min's answer was accurate.

Min Min kept talking through Maria's silence. "My friends say yes, but he is old, and his eye was scary." Min Min scrunched her face into a frown.

Maria tried to keep herself from thinking of her and him together in that little restroom. The way he looked at her and had said her name. Her traitorous mind spent the nights when sleep evaded her contemplating what would have happened if she hadn't run. Then she reminded herself of Becca's fate. Even if Emma had overheard an apology, and Mitch had promised a weird monogamous friendship with PG benefits, then swept her around the market on Sunday and hand-fed her more than she should have allowed, it didn't make the pain vanish.

Min Min snapped her fingers and grinned like she'd caught Maria cheating on a test.

"That's true. Mr. Mitch is your teacher."

"But, you are the same age like Mr. Mitch, so you think he is handsome?"

"Do you think," Maria corrected out of habit, wanting to shove her foot in her mouth seconds later.

"Do you think he is handsome?"

"I don't notice those things about people I work with," Maria lied through her teeth. Earlier this week, he'd nearly knocked her over on his way out of the apartment pool. They tumbled into the side of a building, his well-defined, bare chest she hadn't been able to stop thinking about pressed up against her long enough to soak her shirt. He apologized and left with a smile.