Chapter 51 - Falling (Maria)

Silence lingered during the van ride to the waterfalls, as uncomfortable as the chilly air. With tense shoulders, Maria sat with Tom and tried to avoid meeting Mitch's gaze, although it often landed on her. Tom had given a non-committal answer about his night and why he never stopped by which made her uneasy. To top it off, early this morning, Prae had sneaked into the room and when she tucked under the covers beside Maria, the scent of cedar and cinnamon emanated from her like a certain man who constantly plagued Maria's thoughts.

She had waited until Prae fell asleep to run into the bathroom to cry, praying the hum of the fan covered her sobs. She couldn't fault them. They were both single with no reason to abstain. Maria and Emma had wanted Prae to find romance, but Maria had believed Mitch when he'd denied a relationship with Prae. How many other lies had he told?

She'd washed the salty tears from her cheeks and stared deep into her bloodshot eyes in the mirror. Was this a sign to stay with Tom or should she leave him?

If she was this upset about Mitch, her feelings for Tom weren't strong enough, and he deserved someone who could love him with their whole heart. Not her best effort while pining for a man who would only be her friend. As much as she craved comfort and affection, it wasn't fair to keep misleading Tom.

When the vehicle arrived at the Erawan Waterfalls parking lot, they disembarked and followed Shawn and Mitch past open-air restaurants and souvenir stands toward a walking trail.

"It's a seven-tiered waterfall," Tom explained with a smile less wide than Maria would have expected. "The fall and early winter are the best times to visit, but it should be peaceful this month too."

"Can't wait." Maria grinned to put her in the right headspace. Tom had worked hard to organize this, and she should enjoy it before they discussed what she was dreading. She didn't want to inflict the pain Adrian had, but a fraction of it was unavoidable.

They reached the end of the parking lot and headed into the emerald forest. Tom brushed his fingers against hers as they walked and took her hand in his clammy one. The excitement she'd experienced up north while walking the path to the waterfall together had faded, but she feigned it anyway. Cicadas screeched and birds chirped in the distance.

It didn't take long to reach the first waterfall, whose turquoise waters glistened in the sunray filtering through the canopy. Water cascaded over several small tiers to their left. Tom's hands explored his camera bag before he gave her a sheepish smile, a peck on the cheek, and he headed to the falls to snap pictures. Prae took out her phone and joined him on the water's edge.

Mitch approached her, but Emma whispered to him and inclined her head in Shawn's direction. She sauntered over to Maria. "No luck getting answers from Shawn yesterday or today."

"It doesn't matter. I think there's something between Mitch and Prae."

Emma scrunched her nose. "Really?"

"She came back early this morning and smelled like him."

"Sweetie." Emma engulfed Maria in a warm hug.

"I have no grounds to be upset, but it hurts that he's been lying about it. That's why she doesn't want to find a new guy."

As Emma pulled away, she said, "At least you know where you stand with Tom."

He was chatting with Prae, and they both laughed at something he said. Was this how Adrian felt? Having a supportive, eager partner but yearning for another person. But he'd cheated, and he'd been so damned cold about everything, blaming her for his indiscretions then claiming to love her the moment her attention faded from him. She'd never do that to Tom. She'd make it clear he wasn't the problem, so he could move on.