Chapter 55 - Khwae Yai Bridge (Maria)

After breaking up with Tom, Maria rode waves of guilt for most of the day. It grew easier once they split from Mitch and Shawn who were visiting the war museum and Tom who strayed with his camera. Prae joined Emma and Maria, but down-turned lips and nervous finger-tapping marred her typically upbeat composure. She stood beside Maria as they gazed out at the river flowing over the trestle rail bridge. Emma had wandered ahead to check on the street snacks situation.

"How are you?" Prae asked, her black hair billowing in the wind.

Maria sighed. Digging into that answer could take hours. She'd destroyed Tom to the point that he'd avoided everyone, including Prae, all morning and afternoon. When Adrian had betrayed her trust, it had taken months to recover, and she still wasn't there either with the number of times she thought of him during her relationship with Tom. How permanently scarred would Tom be?

"I've been a lot better."

Tears formed in the corner of Prae's eyes. "I am terribly sorry for the role I played in ending your and Tom's relationship."

Maria placed a gentle hand on her friend's shoulder. "It wasn't you. I made my choice based on my feelings."

Prae stared at the river. "I can't imagine I helped."

"You sped up the process. Better to rip off a Bandaid quickly." She should have done it last weekend instead of cowering from her heart's desire in Tom's arms.

Prae's wide-eyed gaze met Maria's. "Because of how I acted with Tom?"

"Not really, unless you count me comparing my feelings about you and Tom to the prospect of you and Mitch." Maria returned her hand to its spot in her other one as she leaned her forearms on the sun-warmed metal rail.

"Mitch and I? We're only friends, or we were until he told Tom how I felt." Prae's features hardened for a moment before they relaxed.

"Are you sure? I don't want to step in the middle of anything." She'd done it with Kelsey and Adrian, and now Prae and Tom.

A small smile erased a few worry lines on Prae's face. "Completely."

"Did you and Tom get to talk about you and him?"

Prae shook her head and sighed. "It wasn't the right time."

"How long have you had feelings for Tom?" When Prae tensed, Maria added, "I'm asking as a friend who cares about you, not because I'm upset."

Prae rapped her fingertips on the black metal bridge rail. "Not that long."

"Since the holidays?"

Prae nodded. "I hadn't considered a future with a foreigner until Tom came into my family home. He's so kind and supportive. He didn't mean to fill me with so much hope and love, but he does. Please know, I didn't want these feelings. I wanted you both to find happiness together."

"I'm glad someone can get him through this disaster I caused."

Water rushed beneath them, flowing over a few sharp-edged rocks.

"Tom has large reactions to everything. He often hides how bad it gets, but I imagine he couldn't conceal this one."

Maria sighed as a cool breeze ran over her skin. "Am I a terrible person? Real answer, don't spare my feelings."

"A terrible person wouldn't feel this much remorse."

"A good person would have kept their distance from Mitch." For all the times she'd demonized Kelsey, Maria had flirted with and cared for Mitch just as callously. It made her stomach churn.