Chapter 7 - Penang Curry (Mitch)

Most of Mitch's week was Maria-themed. Monday night, he'd stopped by her place to borrow chilli flakes and to hear about her day. To his delight, she hadn't changed out of her work blouse yet. She'd crossed her arms and frowned at his compliment, but he caught her smiling when she thought he wasn't looking.

Tuesday, he'd needed to use the wok in her hotbox of an un-air-conditioned apartment. He was tempted to turn it on and leave a little cash there to spare himself the sauna, but the heat also meant she wore a tank top and tiny shorts, so he'd refrained. She shared the conversation she'd had with Sunshine about her cousin's odd pregnancy cravings and the over-planning her family was doing for the baby shower in the spring. He still had difficulty imagining the Sunshine he partied with for nearly three years as a soon-to-be mother.

Wednesday, he and Shawn ventured downtown for burgers since Mitch knew Maria would be busy tutoring. He had to endure Shawn's teasing about turning into a recluse.

Thursday, he couldn't find any tamarind paste and needed to vent about his classes. She listened with a smile, her hands finding his arms, hand and shoulders to his delight. She'd worn his favourite skirt for the second time this week and kept it on all evening as they watched a couple of sitcoms in her bed since Daniel had given away his couch when he left. Mitch would have to thank him for that someday.

Once Friday rolled around, Maria opened the door with a smug smile. "Really Mitch, I'm wondering if you pawned off your entire kitchen and ingredients for drug money or something."

The comment threw him off for a second, even though he knew she had meant nothing by it. "I need to borrow one more thing."

"What's that?"

"You, I made Penang curry for us."

Maria bit her bottom lip, a part of her body that slipped into his dreams more and more lately.

"That alright with you?" he asked.

"Yeah, I was about to start something, but you beat me to it." She ran inside and appeared with a sweater.

"You can tell me if you're too cold." Mitch opened his apartment door, releasing the sweet peanut and fish scents of the delicious curry that she inhaled with a contented sigh. He was pretty sure she hadn't tried this dish yet either.

Maria walked toward his hotplate to look in the pot and stir it around a bit. He smiled at how at home she seemed here.

"The temperature's just a sudden change from my place."

"You mean your sauna?" Mitch chuckled. "I don't know how you sleep in there."

"With minimal clothing." Her eyes went wide a second later as his smile grew.

Now was an ideal opportunity to stand closer to her. He took in her full, frowning lips, the few strands of her dark hair that escaped her side part, and the breasts that betrayed her chilled state. "I'm going to have a hell of a time sleeping in my cold, lonely apartment tonight."

"You could find someone if you wanted to," she muttered, stepping away and pulling her sweater over her tank top.

"Aw, is someone sick of all the attention she's gotten this week?"

"And last week. I have other friends too."

Mitch wrapped his arms around her warm body. She rested her forehead against his chest as she melted into him. It was unhealthy how much he looked forward to these moments, but she indulged him. If he didn't kiss her, it didn't really count as romantic. "But I'm your favourite, right?"

"You're the neediest, but also helpful enough to make up for it."

He freed his right hand and grabbed the curry spoon. "See if it needs anything." He lowered the spoon to her lips, and she hesitated, trying to get it in her mouth, moving so slowly it was almost comical.