Chapter 60 - Picnic (Tom)

After a long day at work, Tom lay on his bed and massaged his temples. The exam period grew closer, while his students listened less and less. To top it off, he'd spent his lunch with Shawn, Emma, Mitch and Maria, and even if the latter weren't dating, the way they caught each other's gaze left Tom questioning how he missed that attraction for an entire month. It was glaringly obvious she was into the guy, which made him feel worthless.

Worst of all, sooner than later, he would also have to break it to the one person he enjoyed spending time with in Thailand the most that he was leaving. Prae was the glue that held him together after Maria's rejection, yet he couldn't do another year of this heartache. Although it wasn't as bad as Mackenzie's betrayal, Maria's actions still stung.

A firm set of knocks echoed on his front door. Was it Becca trying to entice him with drinks again? It was nice to have company, but he wasn't sure he had the energy, and she often vented about Mitch since the guy had burned them both. Tom's moods never improved after that topic came up. Although after seeing him break down in Kanchanaburi, Tom's disdain for the man was a little misplaced. Losing a sister would destroy anyone, and from what Mitch had said at lunch, it sounded like he was getting help. He'd stopped acting like a cocky, competitive jerk as well.

The knocks echoed again with less certainty. Not Becca. After opening the door, Tom's eyes widened.

Prae stood with a quivering lip, hands clasped. He invited her in and shut the door, but she didn't remove her shoes.

"Prae, what's wrong?"

"You're leaving, and you didn't tell me!" Her voice hadn't wavered with that much emotion since that jerk had hurt her over the New Year.

A pain drove into his gut. He thought he would have more time to tell her. He wasn't sure how she found out, but that wasn't important.

"I was on the fence, but with everything that happened last month..."

Tears fell down her cheeks. "Are you going back to Canada?"

He was eighty percent positive he would, but he could only say, "I don't know."

She chewed her lip. "You can't let one awful experience ruin Thailand for you."

"It wasn't just one." Rejection after rejection and watching his friends face the same gave him little hope. He hadn't dared to give a relationship with Prae a shot because his heart was still healing.

"I thought... never mind" She gazed down the empty hallway and sighed.

"What did you think?"

"It's silly."

"I'm sure it's not."

She took a trembling breath. "I thought once you knew I liked you, you'd want to stay. Go out together after you'd gotten over Maria."

His stomach somersaulted. More than anything, he considered it, but his fear won out in the end. "It wasn't an easy decision, but given my track record with women, you'd move on in a couple of months, and I wouldn't survive at work. It's bad enough facing Maria and Mitch every day. If I faced that and a failed relationship with you... it would be impossible to stay."

"I'm not Maria or your ex-fiancée. I only have feelings for you." Her eyes sparkled with unshed tears.

"For now." He smiled gently. "You're a beautiful person, Prae, as much, if not more, inside than out, which is a high compliment because you're stunning. It won't take you long to find someone else." Two months ago, she was heartbroken over a childhood sweetheart. What if that man changed his mind? He was more desirable than Tom. They had a history together, and he was more handsome.