Chapter 62 - La Normandie (Tom)

Tom stared at the imposing apartment block, almost as intimidating as the impression he had to make tonight. He took a deep breath, straightened his suit jacket, and closed his eyes.

He hadn't impressed Maria, Mackenzie, or any of the women in his past.

But everything was different with Prae, so he held onto hope.

The front door swung open, and she walked out in a pale pink dress that hugged her chest and flowed until just above her knees. The light breeze swept her hair over her shoulder like she'd stepped into a photo shoot. As their gazes met, a broad smile spread on her rose-coloured lips and the skin around her eyes crinkled. He swore that his heart was loud enough for pianists three blocks away to use to play an allegro melody.

"Tom, you're here, and you're dressed so sharply."

"I am, and you're..."

The gold jewelry that sat over her delicate collarbone glittered. The dwindling sun lit up her face in a way his camera would never capture. She had the golden aura of an angel.

Prae giggled. "You'd never know I was out with a native English speaker."

"There are no English words to do you justice."

She crimsoned and played with the ends of her sleeves. "Thank you. You are very handsome."

He swallowed the lump in his throat and thanked her. Next, he pulled a bouquet out from behind his back and presented it to her.

Her jaw dropped, and her eyes grew teary. "These are the same flowers my mother grows in her garden. How did you find these?"

"If I told you, it would ruin the magic. A stunning soul deserves to be surrounded by beauty."

She brought the bouquet to her nose, and a contented smile spread across her face. "You are full of wonderful surprises. I'll put them in water. Did you want to come up?"

"Only if you'd like the company."

"I like your company."

Warmth infiltrated his chest. "So do I."

As they walked up the staircases, another teacher their age, who Tom recognized but whose name he couldn't place, smiled at both of them and greeted him in English. She said something to Prae that had the word sanuk which his students had told him meant fun.

"She's excited for us," Prae said.

He loved that Prae wanted to share the idea of them dating with her friends.

"Me too." Tom's words made her beam again. He'd keep complimenting her all night to see her smile.

They arrived at her floor and went inside to be greeted by the scent of curry and coconut milk. She walked to her kitchen and eyed a green vase on top of her counters. He reached up and grabbed it for her.

She accepted the glass vase. "You can read minds."

He chuckled, but it didn't dispel the tension in his shoulders. "That would be nice. I might be less nervous if I could."

She raised an eyebrow, set the flowers on the counter, and filled it with tap water. "Why are you nervous? Our other dates have been amazing."

"Tonight is important to me. But I'm excited nervous or work-hard-not-to-ruin-it nervous."

"You couldn't ruin this."

Tom ran a sweaty hand against his dress pants. "Don't tempt fate. I am an expert at self-sabotage."

Prae pulled out her phone, held the flowers up, and snapped a picture. "Proof one that tonight is going well."

Tom laughed, and she motioned for him to come in for a selfie. He leaned in and grinned as she pressed the flowers to her chest. The picture didn't do her justice.