Chapter 26 - Koh Kret (Maria)

Rialoves2cook: Christmas in a tropical country is strange. There's the novelty of warm weather and new experiences like the gorgeous holiday show our staff and students put on yesterday or ice skating when it's so hot, but there's the ache of knowing your family is on the other side of the world. Luckily video chats and friends also feeling some holiday blues made my first Christmas abroad quite lovely and even offered some new treats to sample like rose-shaped sweets and flower tempura. Big thanks to Tom for inviting me to discover a new corner of Bangkok together. 

To all of you, I hope wherever you are and whatever you celebrate, you're surrounded by love this holiday season. 

#ChristmasinBangkok #KohKrettreats #friendventures<3 

Posted December 25th 7:45 PM 

Em&Em: Thanks for keeping me from face planting on the rink <3

TomDemchuk: Right back at you Maria! Couldn't ask for better company :)

YouronlySushine: Merry Christmas Ria!! Much love and wish we could celebrate together. Cute pics! 

***

Maria followed Tom's plan without protesting for once. The unsettled energy from Mitch's actions overtook her pride when Tom insisted on treating her to a Christmas adventure. Their cab flew past traffic as downtown's flashy and towering influence thinned into more regular neighbourhoods like their own. Buildings stood only a few stories high, comprising multi-use businesses and apartments, random car dealerships, and restaurants. Plenty of pedestrian overpasses zoomed by too.

Tom's knuckles went whiter than usual as he gripped the car's 'holy shit' handle, as one of Maria's uncles had called it, much to her mother's displeasure. The term made Maria smile and recall giggling with Sunshine as kids after hearing a swear word.

"I promise I didn't offer him extra to get us there in a hurry." Tom turned to the driver and spoke a few words in Thai. The car slowed until they stopped at the next traffic light, then it sped off again. Tom shook his head. "My Thai must need a little work."

Maria laughed. "It was worth a try."

"So is Christmas in Thailand everything you thought it would be?" Tom asked.

She took in a deep breath. She hadn't expected to run into Mitch and to be treated so coldly and snippily. Last week, she had imagined they would spend the day curled up together, savouring curries and each other's touches, but those were naïve dreams, ones he had repeatedly warned her off. His words to Emma today were nails in that coffin.

"It's different," Maria started. How could she justify her downed mood? "The lack of snow, the distance, the empty commercial aspect of the holiday, outside of the school ceremonies all make it feel bizarre."

"Maybe Koh Kret will lift your spirits. My students recommended it, and this seemed like the perfect excuse. The island is supposed to have many tasty snacks that should be right up your alley."

Maria smiled. It was an improvement from their expensive mall non-date and sounded as fun as Lumphini Park.

The driver pulled up at a dock overlooking a wide river, much calmer than the section downtown near the cathedral. As she and Tom exited the car, the air felt clearer and lighter as it travelled to her lungs. A long wooden passenger boat, enclosed with a roof and walls. rocked in the small waves next to the dock. After speaking with the boat driver, Tom helped Maria onto the vessel, and she held onto his hands a few seconds longer than necessary. He grinned and squeezed her hand.

Once a few more passengers joined them, the boat sped off toward a giant golden sitting Buddha statue in front of a long red-roofed building. A cool breeze and droplet of water blew in through the open-frame windows.