Chapter 10 - Impromptu intervention (Tom)

Becca nudged some of Tom's students' textbooks aside and sat on the end of his staffroom desk. He repressed his urge to realign them in a neat pile. She cleared her throat and stretched her long, track-pants-clad legs toward where he stood.

"Any plans for the weekend, Tom-O?"

He didn't understand the Australian custom of inventing nicknames longer than the original name, but after seven months of sharing office space with the forward woman, he stopped questioning it. He couldn't fight his smile since he'd planned an exciting non-date for him and Maria this Saturday. "Taking Maria out to Lumphini Park."

Becca laughed, making her ponytail of chestnut hair bounce. "You boys are all the same. A new toy shows up and you're obsessed."

Tom crossed his arms. "She's not a toy, and she's been here a month a half."

Becca stared at him with wide eyes with thick, long lashes that made her pupils appear even bigger. "For how much of that time has she been over her ex and emotionally available?"

"That's why we're taking it slow, as friends."

Becca smoothed the dark hair on her crown. "That won't give you an edge over Mitch." Her lip curled after saying his name.

Tom offered her a butterscotch candy from the dish on his desk that she took without hesitation. "I know he's a selfish egomaniac, but he said nothing happened between them that night at the beach. He's too cocky to lie." Although, it didn't make Tom any less jealous of their outing to Ayutthaya. Why hadn't he thought of that, and what was Mitch scheming next?

Becca snorted and played with the candy wrapper. "He will tell you exactly what you want to hear without losing a second of sleep over it. Don't be fooled by his bullshit." With the history that Becca and Mitch had, Tom didn't doubt her advice for a second.

"You think Maria is lying too?"

She shrugged and popped the candy in her mouth. "Invite her for drinks tonight, and we'll see."

Tom frowned and stood to surpass Becca's slouched height. She was always trying to convince him to go out when she knew why he hated it. "Mitch's actions were awful, but I won't do this to Maria."

"Afraid of her answer?"

His stomach shifted, and he straightened the cuffs of his dress shirt. Did he know Maria well enough to assume she wouldn't lie to him? He'd thought he and his ex were much closer, and she'd torn him to shreds. Laughter floated from the nearby primary four to six side of the staff room, and it sounded like Maria. Becca sauntered over and raised her eyebrows at Tom before disappearing. What was she up to now? He gripped the rough fabric of his chair before following her.

Maria sat at her desk, chair swivelled toward Mitch who'd captured her full attention. She beamed in a way Tom had never seen. She must have had an amazing day with the kids. It was impossible Mitch had inspired those feelings.

"Maria," Becca called out with a grin as fake as she'd accused Mitch of being.

Maria turned and tensed as she made eye contact with them. "Hey guys, how's it going?"

"Brilliant. Listen, Tom's having a few of us over for drinks if you're keen, Maria?"

Tom shot Becca a look he wished would render her tongue-tied. So much for his quiet night in to video chat with his sister and his nephew.

Maria tucked her hair behind her ear and caught his eye. "I wouldn't want to impose."

He dug his hands in his pockets. If he backed out of this now, it'd appear like he was excluding her more than it already appeared. Why couldn't Becca have minded her own business? "You're more than welcome. They're last-minute plans, otherwise, I would have mentioned it earlier. If you're busy, that's completely fine."