Chapter 31 - New Year's Eve Revelations- Pt 1 (Tom)

On New Year's Eve, Tom rolled over to enjoy another round of Tong's snores. At least sleeping would slow the young man's endless barrage of questions about Emma, who had captivated the poor guy. Despite his interest, Tom suspected she had no intention of pursuing him beyond flirting for attention. He could only hope that Maria wasn't doing something similar. But he was fairly confident she wouldn't lead him on with no intent to follow through with a relationship.

He smiled at the moments they'd experienced so far, from waking up with her on the bus, to seeing her thrive in this warm family home despite speaking maybe twenty words of Thai, to that memory at the waterfall that still made his heart race.

Tonight, he would see if she shared his feelings and possibly kiss her. They kept exchanging smiles, and she was no stranger to holding his hand or wrapping her arms around him in those amazing hugs.

After the roosters crowed for what felt like the thousandth time, he grabbed his sweater and warm socks before heading to the terrace that faced the sunrise. A head of long, dark hair poked out from a wooden lounge chair. A smile grew on his lips until he noticed she had a thinner, more delicate frame than the woman who occupied his thoughts. Still, the young woman sat with a relaxed expression, no wrinkled forehead like she'd had the past few days, especially when her brother was around. She had a peaceful beauty to her.

"Good Morning, Prae," Tom said softly.

She turned around, grinning. "Good morning. I hope you slept well, and that Tong was not..." Her smile faded.

"I slept wonderfully, thank you."

"Maria is not up yet." Prae sat up straighter and adjusted her sweater collar. "But if you want coffee or tea—"

"I didn't come here to put you to work." Tom sat in the chair next to her. "Just relax, pretend I'm not here if it helps."

Prae shook her head, and they turned to enjoy with no other interruptions. Steam rose off the tea she'd set on the bamboo side table.

"I fear this visit has been boring for you three."

"It has been anything but. Maria might learn to speak in Thai after this trip, not to mention she and I think your family is the sweetest. Emma is happy if she has someone around to boost give her attention."

"And you? You have hardly seen any of the area as I imagine you desired."

"I love seeing how close and supportive your family is. They are wonderful. Plus, this is an experience few people have."

"But we are stuck in the house."

Tom nodded. "Yeah, but we go for our little walks."

Prae bit her lip and stared into the distance with a furrowed brow. The sky was pink with a purple line of haze supporting it. "I think we can borrow the motorbikes today. There is a place we can visit, not too far, but beautiful."

"If it's an inconvenience, we don't have to, but it sounds lovely if it's something you wanted to do. A secret local spot?"

Prae nodded. "I go there sometimes to clear my mind."

"That sounds perfect."

She sat up and slipped on her shoes.

"Where are you going?"

"To ask my father."

"Don't you know it's rude to leave your guests?" he teased.

Prae's face went red, and she bowed her head.

"I'm teasing you, Prae. Don't worry about asking straight away. The girls aren't even awake yet. Enjoy your morning and stop worrying about us."

"Thank you, Tom. You are a very kind person. Maria is very lucky."