Chapter 15 - Promises (Mitch)

When Mitch woke in the morning, he had a splitting headache only made worse by the sunlight streaming through his blinds. Reflections came from an empty glass bottle lay sideways on the ground. At least yesterday was over, and it was a new year for him to be less of a screw-up.

Don't set the bar too high. You'll only be disappointed.

The light on his phone blinked. He popped an Advil and chugged a water bottle before reading the text. Maria's name made his heart race. Was she still mad at him or had an evening with her friends eased her apprehension?

Maria: I'm not sure how you're feeling about meeting up at the church. I'll be there, hangover and all. No pressure, just didn't want you to think I was bailing on you.

He massaged his temples to soothe the strain and exhaled in relief. Lately, he'd spent so much time with Maria, he'd forgotten what it was like to deal with his issues without her. His throbbing head was proof of which method was preferable.

Could he make it downtown to Assumption Cathedral without hurling? His uneasy stomach grumbled excitedly at the thought of sharing more market food with her. Back when she hardly left her room unless fighting with her ex, being dragged out, or going to church, he'd toured her around Wang Lang market and dragged her out of her stressed-out shell. Now maybe she would dissolve his problems as long as that text wasn't a polite gesture.

Maria: Whew, made it to the church. Stairs are the worst. I should have brought a bucket or barf bag. You must be sleeping in, so don't worry about my last message.

He chuckled at the misleading girl code. She messaged him twice because she wanted to see him. If he didn't show up at all, he'd be proving everyone right, including her, that he was an uncaring deadbeat. He should have left it at that and spared her the emotional confusion, but he couldn't pass up seeing her. This may be his last chance to hang out if Becca and Tom attacked his character again. Mitch might have apologized, but Becca still loathed him for good reason.

As the painkiller kicked in, he hopped in the shower and found something presentable. He was running too late to take anything but a cab, so he gave the man the address and hoped he'd arrive before the mass ended to surprise her.

Mitch stood outside the Romanesque church, digging his hands further into his pockets. Despite her invitation, those wooden doors and strong stone arches were meant for keeping people like him out. The last time he'd been in a 'houses of God' he'd carried out something far too heavy and precious, and that weight still hadn't left him. The fact that a so-called God had ended her life so young had erased what little faith Mitch had.

Before he could make a run for it, the doors opened, and he stood rooted on the spot, looking for Maria's glossy hair and curvy figure. He spotted some people she'd been with the last time he'd come. The best-dressed man in the group of Filipinos waved him over and smiled. Mitch surveyed the crowd for Maria. Not finding her, he figured they may be his best bet.

"Fancy seeing you here again," Jomari said from just past the cathedral's short steps. "Too bad you missed mass."

"I came to meet Maria. You didn't see her in there, did you?"

Jomari laughed. "Of course you did. She's chatting with the priest." Mitch tried to peer beyond the many people streaming out of the church's large arched doorway. It was still too busy inside to tell where she was, but a tall golden statue softened the intimidating brick building. "I think she said something about a vow of celibacy."

Mitch's eyes went wide. "What?"

Jomari chuckled, as did some others. "Couldn't resist, you look so serious."