Chapter 43 - Late Night Worries (Tom)

Tom lay beside Maria on a plastic lounging chair too small for them both, yet they'd snuggled on it together. His side grew number with each passing minute. Despite her warm body and the gentle manner the streetlight illuminated her brown skin, his mind ruminated on other issues.

Prae had spent the party with Mitch and Shawn, and the three left the apartment complex together. Shawn didn't worry Tom much, but he often looked the other way when his friend drank up women's affections and feelings and tossed them aside for another.

Footsteps echoed off the concrete and Tom sat up straight, jostling Maria around. With a frown, he tried to cover her with a towel so she wouldn't wake. Her breathing remained steady, so he stood and headed over to get answers.

Shawn walked alone, whistling with his hands in his pockets. Tom's skin itched as he strode over and imagined Mitch's dirty hands on Prae's gorgeous, delicate body.

"Did Prae get home all right?" Tom asked.

Shawn's posture straightened. "Yeah, she's home, safe and sound."

"Alone?"

"I guess? I never inquired if she lived with a roommate."

Tom puffed out his chest. "You know what I'm asking."

Running a hand through his thick hair, Shawn said, "I don't, man. It's late, and we drink a lot, so get to the point."

"What's your buddy doing now?"

Shawn shook his head and laughed. "That guy and his appetite..."

Tom's fists clenched at his sides. He'd never thought Shawn shared his friend's twisted attitude toward women, but it made sense. On Monday, Tom could report them to the administration for being sexual predators. Mitch had mixed the beverages they'd encouraged her to drink and followed her home.

"He's out buying half of Sev's hot meals. How that guy stays in shape eating what he does is beyond me."

"Food? That's all?"

"Why all the questions? Maybe a water or Gatorade. How should I know? Ask him when he gets here because I'm going to bed."

Even as Shawn walked off, Tom still couldn't trust his words, not if Prae could be in danger. She rarely got involved in the stupid partying and hooking up that took place between the foreign staff. He should have warned her to stay away, but she'd sounded excited about the different foods, about hanging with him, Maria and Emma.

Regrettably, the four of them spent little time together. Tom had talked to Prae in the beginning, but Mitch strolled over with Maria at his side as if he'd organized the party and were co-hosting it. Spending time with Maria so Mitch wouldn't get the upper hand again distracted Tom. Prae took off with two calculating men because Tom paid attention to his date. If anything happened to her, that would forever mar his conscience.

The smack of foam on the pavement made Tom's shoulders tense. The cocky blond rounded the corner with a plastic bag hanging from one hand and a toasted sandwich in the other. While the sight undid a few knots in Tom's stomach, it still didn't absolve the man of guilt. He could have worked up an appetite going after Prae.

"What happened with Prae?" Tom crossed his arms over his chest.

"Hi Tom, good to see you. How was your night?" Mitch's crooked smile made Tom grind his teeth. "That's a normal greeting."

Tom lunged toward the guy, not caring how many inches Mitch had on him, and shoved him hard. "You son of a bitch!" Mitch's sandwich tumbled to the ground.

"What the hell, man? What's wrong with you?"

Despite Mitch not fighting back, Tom stood tall to keep it that way. "I asked you a question."