Chapter 61 - Keystage Leader (Mitch)

Mitch, Shawn, Priya, and Marissa from the kindergarten team sat in the administrative office going over the final staffing plan for next year, the textbook orders, and class lists with Mr. Paul and Ms. Pim. It was the tedious work Shawn complained about, but Mitch was excited about it. The move to Matayom English classes with the older students was a big change, but he rose to the challenge. This was the first time he didn't turn down the keystage leader position, and it felt good to take on more responsibility again. He would have to make amends with Becca if they were sharing office space, but Emma would be there too and a newbie teaching math.

Mr. Paul's tablet chimed, and after a few clicks, he sighed, rubbing his forehead. "Every year. It appears we will need to find a new P4 teacher."

"Tom, who teaches science. He didn't accept a job for next year yet." Mitch blurted out as Prae's worried rants to him and Maria came to mind.

"The matayom teacher? I thought he declined," Ms. Pim said.

Mr. Paul met Mitch's gaze. "Right. He talked to me earlier about looking for work. Thank you, Mitch. If he's interested, that should make the search easier than this fall. So, talk to your teams about the resources they need for next year so we can get those book orders in soon."

The meeting closed, and Mitch headed back to their work area. Maria smiled at him from where she chatted with Emma and asked how his first big meeting went.

"Great. Emma, please talk to Tom about what textbooks worked for him and decide what you want to order."

"Roger that, boss." She mock-saluted him. "It's going to be weird splitting up." She turned to Maria. "You sure you don't want to teach junior high math?"

"No thanks, I'm looking forward to the Ks way too much. The kindergarten teachers have all invited me out for lunch tomorrow. Plus, I hated math enough in school, no need to teach it every single block. I'll stick to counting or singing to a hundred, thanks."

Mitch grinned. As much as he would miss sitting next to her, he was happy she'd landed the position that would stress her out less and play to her strengths of singing, dancing, and relating to little ones.

"I can buy you lunches and help with the math," Emma offered with a grin.

Maria chuckled and looked at Emma and Mitch. "You two will be together."

"Yeah, but he's easier to manipulate when you're distracting him, and you're more fun than he is."

They all laughed. Despite Emma's teasing, Maria had kept her word, and they were keeping their romantic distance. It didn't mean he thought about her any less or was any less susceptible to her charm, but at least it would protect her a little more if his progress derailed.

So far, his therapist was satisfied with his growth and willingness to dive into his past, but she reminded him that challenging his anxiety around Emily's death would take time and effort. It was growing easier, but he couldn't talk about it without getting lightheaded or his palms sweating. He'd been hoping that by the March holidays he'd be ready for a romantic getaway with Maria, but his therapist still warned it was too soon for the all-consuming relationship he wanted.

But she had given him a flicker of hope in the session yesterday evening that he couldn't wait to share with Maria later. That along with another impulsive decision he'd made this week that he hoped she'd love and his therapist would hate.

"I'm going to pop into Matayom, but I'll be right back." He smiled at Maria.

He crossed the threshold into the four-desk office he'd be joining in May. Tom and Becca were chatting while the other two desks were empty. He'd have to pick Amelia's brain about English textbooks and novel studies later.