Chapter 44 - Aftermath (Maria)

After Sunday mass, Maria and Tom strolled along the riverside, a cool breeze rippling the water. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and gazed at the passing river taxis and other watercraft instead of at her. They had talked little since the party except to check on each other's hangovers this morning. Water and Advil had helped dull hers. She worried that her drunken actions had ruined things between them.

She tucked her hair behind her ear. "Listen, I'm sorry about yesterday. I shouldn't have said what I did."

Tom shifted his attention to her and smiled, but it seemed forced. "We all act a little different when we're drinking."

"I hope I didn't offend you."

"No, it's flattering, but..." His gaze returned to the riverbank.

Was he going to turn her away like Mitch had or confess he found her unattractive? Did Tom suspect she was chasing off her feelings for Mitch by being intimate with him? It was a terrible reason to imply they sleep together. She should have stayed sober yesterday. "But what?"

Tom scratched at his neck and sighed. "I like us, and I like you, but I don't think I can move as fast as you want."

A soothing breeze blew past her warm face. "I was drunk and being impulsive. It's only been three weeks. That's not where I'm at either." Perhaps things would feel less forced if they took a few steps back.

He relaxed and put his arm around her shoulder. "That's a relief. I'd hate to disappoint you."

"Of course not. We've been to awesome restaurants, explored cool parks, handled more strange drunken situations than expected."

Tom stroked her shoulder. "We'll blame that last one on the holidays. Are you happy, y'know, with us?"

She might not have been certain about her feelings or what the future held, but everything was more optimistic now. With the way Mitch lingered around Prae during the party, he'd moved on. Maria leaned her head on Tom's shoulder. "Yeah, I am. Are you?"

She could have sworn he paused for longer than normal, before saying, "Very much so."

***

On Monday morning, Maria left for work early to cleanse her mind of the weekend and hopefully run into Prae before Mitch arrived. Her curiosity about what transpired between them burned. Maria and Prae had only exchanged a few texts since the party. In the staff room, Maria stopped by Prae's desk to check on her. The Thai woman wore a long face, yet her hair and uniform were immaculate as usual.

Maria extended a square container toward Prae. "Hey, I brought leftovers for you."

"Thank you. That's very sweet." Prae looked around the staffroom then returned her attention to Maria.

"How are you?"

The desk beside Prae was empty, so Maria hoped to hear an honest answer. "I am not sure how you do that most weekends. Not only is my head sore, I fear I made a fool of myself."

"We all did, and I have plenty of times in the past. Most people forget and move on."

"Even Shawn and Mitch?"

Maria laughed as they were usually the instigators. "Especially Shawn and Mitch. Hopefully, they didn't give you a hard time on Saturday."

"They are funny men and surprising. Did you know Mitch tutors children for no pay?" Prae smiled.

Maria believed the statement, but why had he told Prae but never Maria? They were supposed to be close friends.

Because he's trying to impress her.