Chapter 21 - Bittersweet (Tom)

Christmas Eve was bittersweet for Tom this year. The school had cancelled classes for a school-wide day of ceremonies. While he longed to see the Thai version of the holiday celebrations and share them with his students, knowing his family would be enjoying their customary dinner, surrounded by loved ones, amplified his loneliness. All he had was pleasant weather and an improving friendship with Maria. Although, the most significant element they had in common lately was wishing they were home for the holidays.

Students and their parents circulated around the Buddha garden and flowed down the shaded pathways leading to the gym. Instead of their regular uniforms, the children wore jeans, shorts, skirts, and t-shirts. A junior-high student in a Santa costume clutched a large bag and greeted the excited younger kids. Tom couldn't discern which of his students it was, but he had a few guesses given the energy and cheer with which they spoke to everyone.

Prae approached Tom with a smile and a wave. She too had traded her teacher's uniform for a lime-coloured polo shirt and wore her hair in a neat bun with a scrunchie whose festive jingling red, green and gold bells chimed as she approached. "How is your first Christmas celebration in Thailand?"

"It's different," Tom said. One of the young kids squealed with laughter as Santa let out a deep belly laugh. "Do you find it strange to miss a day of classes to celebrate a Christian holiday?"

"We cancel classes to commemorate Buddhist holidays too. The children attend school to learn English which includes the culture."

Tom still felt it was a little off, but he'd grown up in the religion-free Calgary public schools. "Is Christmas celebrated in Thailand?"

"It's not big like in Western countries, and not as significant as our holidays, but some people decorate a tree and keep it up during the New Year. They may give their children a gift tomorrow morning." Her eyes were bright and wide.

"Does your family celebrate?"

Prae smiled and clasped her hands together at her waist. "Not when we were very young, but as my father worked more with Western tourists, he introduced the holiday to us. We'd travel to Chiang Mai to see the decorations and take family pictures, but New Year is still more important."

"That must be beautiful in Chiang Mai with the mountain and temple backdrop."

Her smile broadened, showing off her white teeth, and she nodded. "Much prettier than the miniature tree in my apartment."

Tom's eyebrows raised. "You have a tree? I didn't realize you could buy them here." He'd assumed they weren't needed or sold here and had hung a few paper decorations on a plant instead.

Prae covered her laugh with her hand. "Yes, even if it's small, I like to celebrate." She pulled out her phone and showed him a picture of an artificial tree with silver and blue teardrop and star ornaments.

"Suay mak mak," he complimented its beauty.

"Thank you." She searched the courtyard. The crowd was thinning as more people walked toward the gym. "Have you seen Maria?"

"No, I got here early to help Becca with the gym set-up. Is she okay?"

"Yes." As Prae laced her fingers together, her mouth twitched like she wanted to add more, yet she stayed quiet.

Maria hadn't seemed herself at lunch yesterday, which was disappointing since the video call with his sister had gone so well. Perhaps she was still processing her ex and the abuse and needed space. He'd asked how she was a few times yesterday during the school day, not persistently, but when she'd given him short, indifferent answers and avoided his gaze, he'd let it go and had taken it as a sign to leave.