Chapter 18 - A touch of home (Maria)

As Maria lay next to Mitch, their legs nearly intertwined and his hand skimming her skin and clothes like they were brail, she didn't know whether to feel lucky or run. With him, her unease and uncertainty vanished, unlike with Tom, although video chatting with his family had been more fun than she'd imagined. Seeing that understanding side of him—real understanding, not his semi-awareness and not so useful advice—had reassured her.

Mitch's blue eyes locked on her face from behind his wall of blond bangs. He resembled a surfer model, one who'd break her heart, but she couldn't stop staring at. He ran his fingers through her hair until he reached the part with bits of rice clinging to the strands. Taking his time, he removed them one by one and smoothing her hair down. Maria inhaled deeply, catching hints of his spicy cedar and cinnamon cologne that was becoming more familiar and intoxicating.

"I eat and cook like a child," she muttered.

He chuckled and brushed her cheek with his thumb as he withdrew his hand. "Maybe you'll get an easy-bake oven for Christmas."

"If I find one on my doorstep, I'll know who to thank."

Mitch stayed close to her on the bed where they'd chosen to eat their curry and watch a movie that neither of them was interested in. Maria placed her head in the crook of his shoulder, and he squeezed her side softly.

"How is tutoring going?" he asked.

"Good, it's a lot of fun. Though Min Min is getting a bit too curious and may be sharing your secrets."

Mitch looked down his slender nose at her and appeared to hold in a laugh. "My secrets?"

"She said you thought I was beautiful."

His lips quirked into a smile. "What I told her was that you had a banging bod and an ass that just didn't quit, so I'm quite impressed with her comprehension and summarizing skills."

Pulling away, Maria crossed her arms and scrunched her nose. "She asked if I thought you were handsome."

"I hope you said yes. We're reviewing certain adjectives in class, and if you used Tom's name she'll be forever confused."

Maria fought the urge to roll her eyes and gave him a playful nudge instead. While Tom didn't make her breathless with his looks, he still had a boyish charm she found appealing.

"I'm serious. This could be a problem." It was one thing to be flirty friends in their personal time, but if rumours spread, she could be reprimanded or worse at work. Who knew if Min Min's parents would fire her if they thought she slept her way into her tutoring role.

"We were talking about the nuances of 'pretty', 'cute', 'so-so', 'ugly' and 'beautiful' to use in our descriptive writing. Min Min suggested you and your Loy Krathong dress for beautiful. The class asked if I agreed and I did. Am I supposed to lie to them?"

She met his gaze and smiled. That water festival last month had been beautiful, and she'd loved the opportunity to have her co-workers help her into a traditional Thai dress. "Thanks."

He grinned. "It wasn't my idea."

With a sigh, Maria leaned against the headboard and studied Mitch again. His strong, long arms that often found their way around her shoulders and waist; his near-constant smile that helped her endure stressful days; those soft lips that spouted sweet words she reminded herself to take with a grain of salt.

"It's not fair," Maria muttered.

He leaned closer and raised his eyebrows. "What isn't?"

"You're too good at this for someone with zero interest in relationships."