Chapter 45 French Café (Mitch)

Prae's slumped shoulders contrasted with the bright white walls interspersed with the photography of Paris. Upbeat jazz music played and sunlight streamed through the café windows as she and Mitch waited at a table for their drinks. He didn't know the woman well but deduced that maintaining her regular demeanour at work was growing harder, so he'd offered to grab a coffee together after school as tonight was also a date night for Maria and Tom. He'd chosen a place far enough from their school and neighbourhood to avoid running into anyone familiar since he sensed she was anxious about it.

Prae looked through the French desserts on the menu before she turned to Mitch. "Why do you keep buying me drinks?"

He scanned the cramped shop, brimming with friends, students and a few faces of foreigners who likely taught at a nearby international school. "The last times I was miserable, I treated other people horribly, so I thought cheering you up might be a pleasant change."

Prae glanced at two mothers with young children who were leaving. "Is it helping?"

"Yes, I feel like a less terrible person around your sabotage fantasies. What are you scheming today?" He grinned at her.

Her pale face reddened. "I wish I had said nothing that night."

The server broke Prae's embarrassment by dropping off a hazelnut coffee with a triangle wafer and a pink Italian soda with orange and cherry garnishes before taking their food order.

Mitch let the drink warm his hands. "You know eighty percent of what I say is sarcastic, right? I assume drunken confessions aren't your true intentions."

Prae's voice was hoarse as she traced the rim of her glass. "They were still my thoughts."

"When you walked into the pool party, I wished you were a stranger so we could hook up."

She coughed and refused to meet his eyes.

"But I know better. It wouldn't have ended well for either of us, especially knowing what I do now. Our reactions define us, not the initial thoughts."

After sipping her soda and sighing, she whispered, "I don't want these thoughts. I'm acting like I want Tom and Maria to succeed—but it is a lie. How do I make my feelings stop?"

Mitch sipped his hazelnut coffee. Like Maria, the flavour had grown on him and his days were empty when he couldn't have it. "When I figure it out, you'll be the first to know."

"But what to do? When I bring up your good qualities or compliment you, it makes her sad instead of interested. I also feel terrible doing it because she and Tom are happy."

"That guilt doesn't go away either," Mitch muttered. Every time he wanted to sabotage the relationship or tell her he desired to be more than her friend, a voice crept in, telling him he was a selfish asshole. He'd done many awful things in the past three years, but this would be in the top five.

"Do you think they'll ever break up? They're mostly happy, they both want a family and marriage, and they live in the same area in Canada. It's a perfect future."

The Thai chatter and jazz music around them buzzed in his ears until they became the only things he heard. Everyone, including himself, thought Mitch and his ex-fiancé had a perfect future. They both loved their teaching profession, wanted to settle down in the country someday, and create the warmest and most supportive environment for the three kids they planned on having.

Little did they realize a small spark could ignite the monster that lay dormant within him. At least if Maria was with Tom, she'd be safe from that; although Prae deserved love, and Mitch didn't like how Tom doted on her when his attention should be on Maria.