Chapter 40 - Loss (Maria)

Mitch didn't answer when Maria knocked on his door, nor was he at the basketball courts or responding to his texts. She had one more place to try before she'd give up and shop solo. It wasn't ideal both because the items might be heavy for one person, and she missed spending time with him now that dates with Tom filled her weeks, but if Mitch had bailed, Prae and the party came first. Maria hoped Prae and Tom weren't too overworked making those pierogies without her.

At their apartment pool, long slightly tanned arms broke through the water with controlled pulls. His muscles bulged and glistened with each one while his feet splashed the surface. His head turned to the side long enough for a breath before tucking back into the water. Maria sat on a lounge chair and waited, unable to tear her gaze from the man. After a few minutes, his kicking and strokes grew slower, and he stopped near the corner of the pool. Mitch staggered as he stood.

"Are you okay?" Maria called out.

He pulled off his goggles and gripped the pool ledge at his waist. Her eyes could hardly leave his body which stirred all kinds of feelings in her. He seemed even more ripped than he'd been at the beach or the other times she'd run into him leaving the pool since then.

He laughed to himself, making his pecks dance. "I'll give you a minute."

"Sorry?"

"I said I was good and sorry I lost track of time. How are you doing other than being super distracted?"

"I was contemplating when you got so jacked."

Mitch chuckled and pulled himself out of the water which did nothing for her ability to focus on anything but his body. He sat on the edge of the pool, water beading off his gray swim trunks.

"My chef neighbour has replaced me as her food sampler, and I need some time away from those thin walls."

She cringed. Had he heard her and Tom making out? It had started out fun but then got awkward. "Sorry."

"It's fine. I wasn't a gentleman about that when you first moved in. It's your space. As long as you're happy, do whatever you want."

His words 'when you first moved in' struck her. Had he still been sleeping around like when they met? He was a single flirt, and he had no reason to abstain. Her legs stuck uncomfortably together as she tried to move in the heat.

"Are you not happy with Tom?" Instead of the usual ribbing, genuine concern laced his voice.

"Of course, I am." She was happier than she would be if she were alone and dealing with one-sided feelings for Mitch.

"You had me worried for a second there."

"Why?"

"Because you're my friend and I care that you're taken care of properly?"

Maria took the towel on the chair next to her and walked it over to Mitch, but he didn't take it. He patted the spot beside him. She set the towel on the pool deck and used it like a cushion. "Thanks. Tom's still weird about our friendship."

"I think you know why that is."

Mitch's sky-blue eyes met hers and she couldn't look away. It could be because they'd made out and Maria had offered to sleep with him last month, or because Mitch was a relentless flirt, except for recently, or because as much as she fought and denied it, she still had feelings for him.

She sighed. "It sucks because you're my best friend in Thailand, and I feel guilty when we hang out."

"I'm your best friend, not Emma or Prae?"

"Emma and Prae are close seconds, but you get me and know my painful secrets, whether I wanted you to or not."

"Sorry for forcing truths out of you if you weren't ready to share."