Chapter 47 - Decisions Part 1 (Maria)

Maria's jaw dropped as she approached the hotel. The pathway lights' golden glow illuminated the multi-story wooden building. It housed a generously sized lobby. Ferns, a babbling pond, and a rock garden surrounded a winding path toward the entrance.

"This place must cost a fortune," Maria whispered to Tom.

He matched her volume with a smile. "Less than a soulless room at a chain hotel back home."

"That's still a lot of money."

They were staying in Kanchanaburi tonight and on Saturday.

"Don't worry, Tommy Boy is footing your bill," Mitch drew closer to say. When Tom shot him a look, he laughed. "What, was I not invited to this whisper party?"

Maria wasn't sure how to feel about it. She and Tom were dating, and surprising her with the bill would have been unfair when she would have chosen a budget accommodation, but it still made her uneasy to have him spend that much. Especially with the weirdness between them at the pool party. Maria's gaze darted to Prae, who seemed relaxed in her short heels and blue dress, wheeling her suitcase toward reception. How would she afford this? Tom wasn't paying for everyone, was he? He had student loans too.

"I've got Prae covered if that's what you're worried about," Mitch said.

"What?" Maria and Tom asked in unison. Her stomach twisted. Was that why Prae kept bringing up Mitch this week because they were dating? Maria's nails bit into her palms.

Mitch chuckled. "You two are too alike."

"You're not... she's not..." Tom's face turned red as his eyes darted between Mitch and Prae. Was that worry or jealousy in his narrowed-eyed look?

"Not what, Tom? Dating? Hooking up?"

The guy was taking a nail-bitingly long time to answer that question as he raised an eyebrow at Tom.

"She can do a lot better than me. I'm just redirecting funds the school has overpaid me over the years to a friend who deserves it more." Mitch looked Maria in the eye as he emphasized 'friend' as if reading her mind. "Prae works harder than we do, but the school pays her a third of the money."

"We can all chip in," Maria said.

"Nah, you've been here for a few months, and Tom's already covering you. If I'm hitting anyone up for cash, it'll be our distracted key stage leader." His eyes wandered to Emma's bold dress, accentuating her long legs and cleavage, and Shawn, who'd offered to carry her luggage on top of his. "But I'm joking about Shawn. I'm happy to help."

Once they traversed the cobblestone tiles and reached the glass sliding doors to the lobby, the air conditioning chilled Maria's skin. Shawn, Emma, and Prae stood at the check-in desk, adorned with intricate wood carvings on the front. Lotus flowers floating in clear bowls brightened up the space.

"Do you want the extra room," Shawn asked.

Tom took a deep breath and looked at her expectantly.

"An extra room for?"

His Adam's apple bobbed up and down and he averted his gaze when he said, "Us."

They hadn't crossed that line as a couple yet, and if last weekend was an indication, Tom didn't seem ready. He couldn't have changed his mind so soon, unless he was doing this to make her happy, in which case, she felt like an imposing jerk.

He brushed his red bangs from his eyes and looked at their friends before addressing Maria. "I didn't know what you'd prefer, so I thought I'd check with you first."

Was she supposed to say yes or no? The more her friends stared, the warmer her face grew.

"Why don't we give them some privacy?" Prae said as they headed to another section of the large lobby.

Tom ran his hands over his jeans once he'd broken eye contact with Prae. What silent message were they sending, and why was he tenser now? Maria's skin tingled like it did when she dealt with Adrian's moods when there was a right answer she'd always struggled to find. Would that be the case with Tom?

"Do you want to talk in the garden?" she asked.

"It's that bad?"

"No, you just seem nervous, and you told me in nature you're more relaxed."

He exhaled, and his shoulders relaxed. "Okay."

They walked toward a wooden bench and sat with enough distance that their bodies weren't touching. He clasped his hands together and picked at a hangnail.

"What would you like to do?" Maria asked.

"Whatever you want."

"I overstepped last weekend and don't want to make you uncomfortable. If you'd like to share a room, I'm down, but if you don't I'll be happy bunking with the girls. We'll hang out all day tomorrow and Sunday, and it'll still be special."

He pressed his thumbs together. "You're not just saying that?"

Maria shook her head and took his hand. His skin was soft. "As long as you can handle Shawn and Mitch for the weekend."

Tom grimaced. "You're not selling the separate rooms very well."

"You could get your own, and I'll stay with the girls." It would be like visiting the north together, but Prae could relax as a guest free of her family's judgement. "If you change your mind, I'm just a text away. The girls will understand."

He ran his thumb over her hand in reassuring circles. "I wish I had thought of that before I forced this awkward conversation on us."

"It's an important conversation to have so we're on the same page."

"Thanks, Maria." Tom leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips.

After they broke apart, Maria took in the twinkling garden lights and the earthy scent. Last weekend hadn't fazed Tom if he worked this hard to find a perfect resort and sweep her away. She could try harder, especially since she'd been the one to make it awkward. "So, waterfalls tomorrow, eh?"

"It seemed fitting, given how we..." His cheeks dimpled with a grin.

"It's super thoughtful." Her eyes wandered to the lobby, where their four friends sat on wicker couches. "Can't believe Mitch made the guest list."

Tom laughed, but it seemed forced. "Thank Prae for that one. She insisted, and I know you two are friends and he cares about you in his weird way."

Maria reminded herself that Mitch had been clear they weren't dating. He wouldn't lie to them... unless Prae had asked him to, which she may have done to spare Maria's feelings or Tom's judgment. Mitch had kept similar secrets for Maria before. It wasn't much different from her hiding their closeness in the fall to avoid Becca and Tom's negative reactions.

"Prae helped you plan this?" She and Tom seemed close at work all week, but if they were organizing this, it made sense.

"She's better at knowing the right places and people, plus my Thai is decipherable at best. It's incredible how she put this all together so quickly." He stared in her direction where she sat beside Emma on the couch, laughing. "Should we head back?"

"Yeah."

Once Tom returned to the front desk, Maria wheeled her bag to the couch and plunked down near Emma.

"So, all sorted?"

"Yeah, hope you don't mind putting up with me for a couple of nights."

"That calls for girls' night celebration shots later." Emma leaned in closer and whispered, "You two all good?"

Maria nodded as Mitch's eyes burned into her. Whatever remarks he was conjuring up about Tom, he kept to himself even when her date returned. Other than prodding Tom about his close friendship with Prae, Mitch hadn't been antagonistic toward Tom much lately.