Chapter 31 - New Year's Revelations Pt 2 (Tom)

Tom stopped in his tracks. Emma and Maria, the only other native English speakers, sat in the dining area, so whoever was in the kitchen was not looking to be overheard and neither person had a North American accent. He couldn't recall seeing Prae recently.

"—in the city and I am living here. It's a nice idea and a kind gesture, but you must understand it cannot work," a man said.

"I will not be there forever. But right now, it is best for my career," Prae said.

Tom paused, not recognizing the man's voice. He didn't want to intrude in case they could resolve things, and he wasn't ready to return to Maria empty-handed.

"I want a wife, a mother for my children, not a career woman. Perhaps in the city, you can be both, but I do not want that. Imagine how that would look."

"That's not fair!" Prae's voice grew firmer. "I attended school as long as you did. I have worked just as hard. Why do I have to give that up?"

"You could cozy up to one of the farang men like your friend. They are used to women like that, although many like traditional wives who tend to their homes from what I have heard." Tom's fists clenched. He was ready to deck this guy on both Prae and Maria's accounts. Who the hell did he think he was telling Prae what she could do with her life?

"But you have lived abroad and in the city; you understand there is more than just a simple village life. How can you still feel this way? We've been close for many years."

"Then what I am looking for should not surprise you."

The man rounded the corner quickly, dismissing Tom with a glance and returning to his parents. Tom found Prae gripping the counter and wiping away a few tears. She stiffened as the floorboards creaked beneath his steps. Her shoulders relaxed when their eyes met.

"Sorry, the onions are still very strong." She fanned her face.

"He's an asshole, Prae. I didn't have to hear the entire conversation to know that."

Her voice came out as a whisper. "Asshole or not, he is the only man who has made any romantic proposal to me in two years." She ran a trembling hand through her hair.

Tom found that hard to believe, as she was beautiful and single men filtered through staff yearly. Although, she had said romantic and enough guys shared Mitch's mentality with women. Plus, she probably wanted a man who'd stay in Thailand, not fly back home in a couple of years.

"What if he is right?" Prae's eyes were still teary.

"It's better to be alone a little longer than forced into a life you don't want."

"Many Thai men think like he does."

"Then find a man who doesn't."

Prae leaned on the counter and gazed out the window. The moonlight brightened the strands of hair she'd pulled back with a fancy silver clip to match her teardrop earrings. "What if I am old when I meet him, too old for children? When I have a family, I want my daughters to look at their mother and see a life beyond their home. My job is not more important, but it is also part of who I am."

Her words made him want to search the country for a man with enough sense to realize that this was a woman worth holding onto. A driven, compassionate role model with strong values.

"That's very admirable. You'll find that, and sooner than later. You've got plenty of time." Prae gave him a forced smile then turned back to the window. Her sad eyes made his skin prickle. "Any man who doesn't appreciate your amazing passion and drive is an idiot." Her smile grew more sincere.