Chapter 19 - Red (Mitch)

When Mitch woke up next to a pair of round, perky breasts too pale to be Maria's, he wanted to vomit. Partly from his pounding head and an uneasy stomach, but mostly because her intuition had been on the money. Hours after he'd broken off his agreement not to see other women, he lay with some hook-up so meaningless he hadn't a clue what her name was. Maria had been right yesterday; he was just a sleazy, selfish dick. At least she could be rid of him for good now, as much as the prospect gave him a full-body ache that rivaled the alcohol's effects.

"Good morning, handsome," the redhead beside him cooed. "Last night was amazing."

He remembered little beyond flashes of skin and moments of ecstasy before his release. He laid his head back on the pillow that reeked of cheap fruity perfume and pretended to be asleep to piece together what had happened.

After Maria had left the apartment, he'd noticed her keys on the bed. He hadn't intended to follow her until her muffled sobs reached his ears. His arms ached to wrap around her, to show her he'd turned her down because wanted more than the hook-up, and the thought of something between them being temporary and meaningless terrified him. His feet carried him to the door. But the same tears that drew him to her stopped him in his tracks. If he could devastate her to this degree when they weren't together, how much would he hurt her once they were? Maria had already suffered enough.

He'd tried to have a purely physical relationship with Becca, and blowing her off had been so difficult that his last attempt had destroyed her. With Maria, their lines had grown so hazy. He jumped at every stupid opportunity to save her from her ex or that dick at the bar. She and Mitch hung out as friends who were undeniably attracted to each other. The last time that happened... He shook his head. He knew how much damage he could do if they started dating. As much as he wanted to explore an actual relationship with her, he didn't trust himself not to screw it up.

Her footsteps took off in frenzy. She must have realized that too.

He texted Emma about the keys and slid them under her door on the way to Shawn's. It killed him knowing Maria was probably there and broken up because of his selfish actions. What the hell had he been thinking, trying to sleep with her? He was a piece of shit.

Leaning against the wall outside Emma's apartment, he sighed. Sobs and sniffles echoed from inside, digging their claws into his heart. All it would take was a knock; a knock, apologies, and explanations, and he could end that pain. They wouldn't be lies. He genuinely had feelings for her and deep down, wanted something to work out between them.

But things never worked in his favour, nor for the people he'd cared about. He closed his eyes, letting Bangkok fade away.

"You fucking asshole!" The clarity of a voice he hadn't heard in years sent his heart racing and his ears ringing. "You seriously think I did this on purpose?"

A dated motel room on the never-ending highway between Illinois and Nebraska materialized before his eyes. "I don't know what to think anymore," he'd snapped.

"I'm sorry about what happened, and I can't imagine what you're feeling right now, but this is not my fault," she continued like she was the victim, like she had taken her last breath without her brother by her side.

"Like hell it wasn't. You could have waited on your own or come with me and rescheduled your appointment for later. You knew she was sick, and you clearly aren't!"

Lisa trembled and crossed her arms over her stomach. "I didn't force you to stay! I just assumed you might care about the woman you're supposed to marry this summer. No one thought it would move that quickly. If I'd known that, we would have come much earlier."